Help Transparent black colouring in goldfish

Jasleen

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi!
I’ve had my fish for a few months now and recently , one of them has started to show blackening of the underside of its head. It started as a line going vertically but now it has spread into a transparent black cloud. I thought it was ammonia burn at first so I started doing 10% water changes every day. That didn’t help. Then I thought maybe it’s the gravel so I do gravel cleans once every week. This isn’t helping either. I did quarantine the fish by itself and although it removed the black marking, it was stressing the fish out to be left alone. I have asked the pet store I for it from and they also suggested its ammonia burn but I’m not too sure. I’ve got 3 sucking catfish, a black moor, a fancy tail and a comet in the tank with this one. I’ve also check with the store to see that this space is more than enough for the amount of fish I have so that isn’t really the problem either. I don’t know what seems to be the problem as every other fish is pretty healthy. I’ve attached some pictures for reference and if anyone could help, it would be immensely appreciated. The photos may be blurry as this one likes to move around a lot.

Attachments

EmbersToAshes

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm not a goldfish expert but I think I have seen others call this "Black Smudge" and it is usually due to a water quality issue. Can you test the water for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? What size tank is he in? More water changes would probably help. I would do at least 25% a day

New Threads