Translucent Fins?

1. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

I've had my betta (Admiral Ackbar) since roughly October (not exactly sure, but around then). I actually bought him because my mom bought a bowl she liked for HER betta, but decided she preferred her biOrb because it was filtered, so I got the bowl. Unfortunately, I learned the hard way (rather, Admiral learned the hard way, I suppose) that it was much too small for a betta (I'd estimate between 0.5-1 gallon). His fins turned black on the tips, and from what I've read, I believe it to be from ammonia poisoning. I increased the water changes to 100% roughly every other day, and got a 10 gallon tank for Christmas.

In the 10 gallon tank, he shared his home with a BN pleco and a pictus catfish. Unfortunately, this was all before I discovered this website, and I didn't realize I was severely overstocking the tank, and that pictus cats like to be in groups. At first, Admiral was a bit aggressive to the pictus cat, but then the catfish became a bit nippy at his fins, and he kept them neatly trimmed. Needless to say, he took a trip back to the pet store.

He stayed in there for about two months, until I set up a 55 gallon tank last weekend. That weekend, I also bought the API Master Test Kit, and tested the water in the 10 gallon. This was a week after I did the last water change, and I change the water (roughly 40%) every weekend, so it was the maximum time that the water is in the tank (if that makes any sense). Anyway, the readings were all zeros, which was surprising (in a good way).

I moved him to the 55 gallon tank last Saturday night. He's having a blast swimming around (just him and our BN pleco). Tonight I took a closer look at his fins, and they look a lot different. Rather than being blunt at the ends and even, from the pictus I presume, they're thin and pointy again. Also, there are no black spots, and the tips are translucent. Does this mean his fins are regrowing? The current parameters for the water in the 55 gallon tank (as of this morning) are 0 for nitrates/nitrites, and between 0 and 0.25 for ammonia.

(As an aside, we're not cycling the tank with just the fish. I moved the whole filter, not just the media, over from the 10 gallon tank, in addition to the filter for the 55 gallon.)

If it is that they are regrowing, can I expect the color to come back? If so, roughly how long?

2. octonaut Member Member

That is one beautiful betta, glad he's enjoying his new home :)

When our goldfish's tail was badly damaged it took a very very long time to regrow. and sometimes it looked very strange. sometimes there were black spots, and sometimes not, but it took nearly 6 months to completely heal, and regrowing a scale that his tank mate had pulled out took longer still.

3. Shine Well Known Member Member

Looks kind of similar to when my betta's tailfin was regrowing. Its a bit blurred so hard to say for sure but...

With mine, first it grew in kind of 'translucent' and then started colouring up later. In a completely different colour I might add. The betta's original fins were dark blue, with a lighter blue irradesence... when they were done the new growth was bright red.

4. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Hooray! That's what I was hoping. At least one fish is doing well....can't say the same about my BN pleco (I posted a thread in the "freshwater diseases" forum if you'd like to take a look.

Here's a better picture, he was more cooperative about posing in the light for me today.

Attached Files:

5. Charlemagne Member Member

Oh, he's so pretty! I had a rescue betta (since given to a friend) from Wal-Mart. He was in a tank with black-skirt tetras (his cup had broken) who were tearing him apart. He barely had any of his tail or bottom fin left, but he was a brilliant orange! Later on, when his fins were growing back, they did come in clear. After a while, his bottom fin was mostly clear and had a lovely shimmery green on it. Then the orange coloring slowly started moving back down the fin. That's probably what's happening with your lovely boy. :)

6. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Thank you! He says thank you, too :) That's good to hear, I'll have to make sure he stays in good water all the time so that his fins grow back pretty. I can't look at the bettas at pet stores, they always look so sad in the tiny cups and I want to buy them all :( I'm hoping that he'll be nice once I introduce the rest of the stock...if he can be a nice boy, he'll stay in there and I'll get a new betta for the 10 gallon. :)

7. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

His regroth is coming along nicley. When bettas regrow fins certain factors in their enviroment and diet can effect the shape, speed and color of the regrowth. In my tanks my bettas recive high quality diets(spoiled rotten) when damaged fins regrow you almost harldey see a white edge, just new fin growth, unfrotunetly i did something wrond and now me female has the funkiest tail ever. His fins should color up soon though. adding some frozen foods to his diet will help.

8. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

What do you feed your bettas? I've been (as you know) feeding my pleco zucchini, cucumber, and spinach; the betta has a few bites but isn't too interested, and I'm not sure how important veggies are for bettas, anyway. Right now I alternate flake and pellet food, and once a week feed freeze-dried bloodworms. Would the only other thing I should add be frozen food, or do you feed something else as well?

9. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Ahh i see. Bettas are carnivores, they dont eat veggies, period unless they are starving or malnutritioned. I feed a mix of New life spectrum, attisons betta bites and betta bites+, aswell as kens betta krumble. Theres also Omega1 betta bites. Hikari is a common brand you will see, used to be the best, now its usless.

REMOVE the freeedried food. It is very harmful to your fish, causing bloat and a variety of other problems. They are also a serious lack of nutrition. Flake foods can cause much the same issues. Pellets are the way to go. Frozen is very good to mix with their diet. Brineshrimp being the best imo, theres also bloodworms, but these are more of a treat, like candy.

10. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Oh jeez. Okay. I also have some freeze-fried brine shrimp chunks that I used to feed once a week when I had a pictus cat, and the betta would have some of that too. I have some sinking shrimp pellets, but I haven't given any of those yet. I figured I would wait until I had more bottom-feeders. Looks like I've spent a lot of money on no-good food :(

11. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

I am glad to know about the freeze dried food. I gave my neighbor a Betta and a small tank to go with it for her Birthday and bought her the freeze dried food. I better tell her.