Transition from well to RO water.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by flyin-lowe, Apr 16, 2010.

1. flyin-loweWell Known MemberMember

I decided to go RO with my 120 G tank since I will be stocking with angels and cardinals. I got the unit ordered today and it should be here next week. Right now I have about 12 corries and four albino BN plecos in the tank and it has been running for about a month. What is the best way to make the transition without shocking the fish. Right now my pH is about 8.2 and I am using well water that has run through a water softener. Should I do like 10 gallon water changes every night for a certain period of time or what do you recommend.
    I ended up getting a 4 stage 100 gpd unit. I have a friend who is a plumbing supply salesman and he got me a decent deal on it.
    I typically do my water changes on Friday's so my plan is to get some 5 gallon water jugs and make 30 gallons of water each Thursday and let it sit overnight so the temps get close to room temp. My tank is about 78 degrees and our house stays around 72-74 so after 24 hours it should be close enough to add and it won't change the tank temp much at all.
    Thanks

2. michael68Valued MemberMember

I would first test the ph of the ro water.I would slowly aclimate each fish by floating them in a container of your current tank water and slowly over and hour or two add new tank water to the container,especially the plecos.Make sure you test your new water parameters before your start and make sure the new tank is cycled.I just run my thermometer under tap water until it gets to my current tank water temp add conditioner and pour it in.

3. flyin-loweWell Known MemberMember

Im not switching tanks I'm just switching water sources. The fish are in the 125 and I am going to start doing water changes and using RO water instead of well water. I am just wandering how much I should change at one time that will not shock or harm the fish.
    Sorry about the confusion.

4. michael68Valued MemberMember

Sorry i misunderstood.I would still test the ph of the ro water against your current ph and like you said do very small water changes every other day for a period of time.If the ph is similar i think your water changes wont have to be that large and frequent.If ph is the same than carry out your normal maintenance routine.

5. jdhefModeratorModerator Member

That sounds like a pretty good plan. When changing ph, slower is always better than faster. You might want to consider getting a 30 gallon (or larger) trash can and putting the water in there along with a heater. The trash can will probably be cheaper than 6 five gallon buckets and this way you can get your water to the perfect temperature.

6. flyin-loweWell Known MemberMember

Thanks for the advice, I thought about the trash can but I just don't have a place that I can stick a trash can of that size in the house. If I had a basement I would do a complete setup with holding tanks and pump etc. I plan on just letting the holding tank to the RO unit fill up then the day before a water change I can fill a bottler every several hours or so. I will see how fast it produces. My water pressure is stays between 45-60 lbs according to the gauge in line. I know its not ideal but I have also read a lot of municipal sources only have like 25 lbs.

7. haji4Valued MemberMember

I use an R/O system and I fill old cat litter buckets. Yes I carry buckets but I have not had any sickness or ick since I switched. I am guilty and I heat a pitcher in the microwave to raise the temp in the bucket for the small tanks and for the 125 I take a pitcher form each of the 6 buckets and heat it to boiling on the stove. Then I mix it in with the buckets and now it brings the temp up in each bucket. I have been doing it that way for years now. Yes it is a lot of work but to me it is all part of caring for them. We each find a way that works for us and keeps our fish happy and healthy.

8. michael68Valued MemberMember

I dont think think the temp in such a small water change in a 120 gallon tank really matters.Just a thought.

9. flyin-loweWell Known MemberMember

That was my thought. I don't know how quick temps will stabilize but I figured if my house is close to 72 degrees after 24 hours the water will get close to that. Lets say its gets to 68 degrees. 20 or so gallons ten degrees off the tank temp shouldn't drop it more then a degree or two, I wouldn't think.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice