Transferring To A New Filter

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by Jyeung, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Jyeung

JyeungNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +14
    Hey guys, need some help transferring from my old tetra whisper filter for a 10gallon to a marineland 100 bio. I removed the carbon from the filter bag in the tetra and reused that with the black coarse filter into the marineland 100 so that way the water intake would hit the filter bag and then the black coarse filter into the biomax and then the aquaclear 50 filter sponge on top of the bio max.

Would this keep me from ruining my nitrogen cycle and keeping the beneficial bacteria in the tank?

The one thing that did get me worried was that after I had started up the marineland the water got a tiny bit dusty but I think that may have came from the biomax.

2. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,042
    Experience:
    2 years
    As long as you stuff as much media from your old filter into your new filter it shouldn't affect the cycle. Carbon bags usually run out of their effectiveness in 4-6 weeks but should hold a little bit of BB.

3. OP
    OP
    Jyeung

JyeungNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +14
    Okay cool. Unfortunately I already got rid of the carbon which I don’t mind. I’ve heard it’s only good for getting rid of medications and I also have a heavily planted tank. Hopefully they do better now.
    But yes I’ve stuffed everything from my tetra whisper (tetra whisper bag and the thin black coarse sponge) into the marineland 100, added biomax to the bottom left compartment and then added an aquaclear 50 sponge on top of it.

4. Zka17

Zka17Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +116
    You should be fine... but just to make 100% sure, I would skip feeding for 3 days (if you have adult fish) and would dose with Seachem Stability.

5. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,042
    Experience:
    2 years
    I think everything will work out perfect fore you. Nice upgrade!