transferring my 5" arowana to new tank.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by leeishom, Apr 9, 2010.

1. leeishomValued MemberMember

any one have any suggestions on how to safely transfer my fish to a new tank?

im planning to fill half the new tank with dechlor'ed water; every other day do a 20% water change, fill the new tank with the old tank's water. my new tank will be seeded before i start.
    have any insight?

2. NutterFishlore VIPMember

Are you putting fish into the old tank straight away? Or is there any other reason you can't take the cycled filter off the tank the fish are in now & use it side by side with the new filter on the new tank? Assuming you got a new fitler to go on the new tank.

3. leeishomValued MemberMember

using a brand new fluval fx5.

4. NutterFishlore VIPMember

Can you put your old cycled filter on the new tank at the same time as the new filter is hooked up? If you can then that is the way to go. It only needs to have both filters on there for 2-3 weeks, then you can take the old filter back off again. That way you don't really need to worry about cycling the tank at all. Keep an eye on the parameters anyway just to make sure nothing bad happens but done that way it should be fine. If you can't hook both filters up at once, take all of the media out of the old filter & put it in the new one.

I would just fill the new tank up with dechlorinated water, heat it to the right temp & then start the filter/s running. Add the fish as soon as you like so that there is an ammonia source for the bacteria. If you can use the substrate from your old tank, or at least part of it, that would be even better.

5. leeishomValued MemberMember

wouldnt the shock of so much new water and a small rise in PH stress the fishes out?

6. NutterFishlore VIPMember

The 'new water' would be fine. Run the filters for an hour or so before you put the fish in. As for the PH, that depends on how much of a variation we are talking about. If it's less than 0.2 then it shouldn't bother the fish particularly. If the PH difference is more than that or any of the other parameters are significantly different then the usual drip method of acclimatising should be employed. That should eliminate any shock problems.

7. leeishomValued MemberMember

:;giftI think the ph will be more than .5
    drip method, the fish in a plastic bag, right?

Another question: could I store old tank water in a plastic milk container?

8. NutterFishlore VIPMember

If the bag is large enough. You would need to support the bag in a large bucket or some other similar tub. I use 20lt tubs or buckets depending on what size the fish is. For really big fish I use a 20gal tank to acclimate them. Use a length of airline with some form of clamp to restrict the water flow. I use vice grips. It should take anywhere between 2hrs to a full day depending on how fast the water is flowing & how large the container is that you use to hold teh fish in while you acclimate them.

You could store teh old tank water in clean containers, but why would you want to? If you really want to make use of the old water, then put it in the new tank & then top the new tank up with new water. That will help lessen the difference in PH to.

9. leeishomValued MemberMember

That's what I want to do, just get small head start with the old water in containers.
    Thank you for the input.

10. NutterFishlore VIPMember

Cool. Just as long as you know that using the old water is only to help keep the parameters closer to the original tank. Using the old water will not bring any beneficial bacteria across with it. It would be best if you can bucket the water from one tank straight into the next if they are going to be set up in different locations. If the new tank is going into the place of the old one then you don't have any choice but to store the water but I'd try to find something a bit larger than milk containers. Buy a bunch of cheap buckets or a large storage container.

11. leeishomValued MemberMember

Having the new water close to the old water's PH is my concern.

12. leeishomValued MemberMember

As for seeding, I Have 3 pounds of fluval biomax.
    I'm still debating on using a 10" nylon net or a container to transfer.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice