Transferring JD and FM to a new tank

Discussion in 'American Cichlids' started by JToo, Apr 20, 2010.

1. JTooNew MemberMember

Hi
    I am new to the forum but I've had a Jack Dempsey and a Fire Mouth for the past five years. They live together fairly happily, although the Jack is much bigger than the FM and the FM spends a lot of time hiding but does come out for food. There is no aggresion. Since I first got them they have been living in a 40 gallon tank. I have recently acquired a new 55 gallon tank and would like to move them over to it. So far I took about a fifth of the water from their tank and filled the remainder with freshwater. I was wondering how long would be a good time before making the transfer? Are there other things I should be aware of. Before I move them, I will get the pet store to test the water for me. Thanks for your help.
    Janet

2. bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

Welcome to Fishlore, Janet! I've got FM's and JD's myself. Awesome fish, for sure!

Moving the filters and substrate to the 55g would be the best way to hang on to your nitrifying bacteria.

Also, most pet stores use strips, which aren't known to be accurate. You may want to consider getting your own API Freshwaster Liquid Master Test Kit so you know your water parameters at any given time.

I hope this helps!

3. JTooNew MemberMember

HI Bolivianbaby
    Thanks for your advice. I will definitely move the filter and substrate material over. I was gong to get all new gravel but maybe it would be best to move what is already there.

4. ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

welcome to fishlore!!!
    great advice from BB :)
    if you want new gravel, just take the current/old gravel and put it in a nylon stocking (never been washed) and hide it in the tank for a few weeks...the bacteria will transfer over and that way you wont have to use the old stuff if you dont want too :)

as far as firemouths, I know mine got more personable when I added a few to the bunch....good luck and share pics when you can :)

5. sirdarksolFishlore LegendMember

Welcome to Fishlore!
    I've moved this thread to the cichlid section. The Hot Topics section is specifically for debatable topics, like dyed fish, genetically modified fish, etc...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice