Transferring Glofish to new tank after a fish death

• Thread starter FishBeginner2020
  • Start date

FishBeginner2020

I am in the process of moving to a bigger tank because I am attempting to cycle my tank. I did not know about the cycle so I am attempting to use this guide: in which it says to buy a bigger tank. Yesterday I scooped my two cory catfish in a net and brought them to the new tank which is in the same room (10G to a 29G). They were the first fish in the new tank. I left the light off for around 24 hours. The new tank is 78 degrees vs 79 degrees on the old one. The PH's are with .15 of each other. They seemed lazy in the first day. Today, one died after having trouble staying upright and turning pale. The other swims around actively and was behaving normally. I think it died of stress from the move. Is there anyway to prevent this for my two Glofish? I plan to move them tomorrow. I feel scared they might die but also know the levels will not be right in their old tank and I won't be able to get them the proper schooling family for them to be happy in a 10G.

Ghelfaire

Well Known
The best way to cycle a new tank is to take everything out of the old one and put it in the new one.
That would be: old filter media in with the new filter, decorations, plants and substrate (optional).
That way you have beneficial bacteria from your old tank and your new tank should cycle within a few days.

Corydoras are more sensitive than other fish so you should have better luck moving the glofish over.

FishBeginner2020

Ghelfaire said:
The best way to cycle a new tank is to take everything out of the old one and put it in the new one.
That would be: old filter media in with the new filter, decorations, plants and substrate (optional).
That way you have beneficial bacteria from your old tank and your new tank should cycle within a few days.

Corydoras are more sensitive than other fish so you should have better luck moving the glofish over.
Hi thanks for the reply. My problem is my old tank isn't even turning ammonia to nitrites yet so there is no good bacteria to add. I think I will add some bottled bacteria to try and help. My healthy cat fish has developed cloudy eyes so I feel like I might have just got myself into a bad situation with no way out. I dosed some melafix so she will hopefully be able to get passed this.

Top Bottom