Transferring from QT to main tank

Arrow1oo

Well Known
Reaction score
So I have a 55 gallon main tank with 3 cardinals, 1 Swordtail and 2 Cory's. I lost fish to a disease and have since set up a quarantine tank with 6 cardinals in it.

About 2 Sundays ago I realized they had ich in my quarantine and have since turned the temp to 86 and let it sit. This Sunday makes about two weeks.

Observing the fish most of the ich has gone, maybe one or two dots on a fin. When should I transfer over and how can I be sure there's no more ich.

Also, how can I prepare the quarantine tank for more fish. I don't want the beneficial bacteria to die but I don't want my new fish to get ich. Can I be sure the ich is dead even in the filter.

Madchild57

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Arrow1oo said:
So I have a 55 gallon main tank with 3 cardinals, 1 Swordtail and 2 Cory's. I lost fish to a disease and have since set up a quarantine tank with 6 cardinals in it.

About 2 Sundays ago I realized they had ich in my quarantine and have since turned the temp to 86 and let it sit. This Sunday makes about two weeks.

Observing the fish most of the ich has gone, maybe one or two dots on a fin. When should I transfer over and how can I be sure there's no more ich.

Also, how can I prepare the quarantine tank for more fish. I don't want the beneficial bacteria to die but I don't want my new fish to get ich. Can I be sure the ich is dead even in the filter.
When I did my 2 week ich treatment, the ich spots disappeared in 5-ish days and the rest of the time was just ensuring everything was dead. If you still see spots, I would qt for maybe a week longer to ensure all the parasites are gone from the water, would hate for there to be some floating around that you inadvertantly transfer. I just assumed all the ich was dead after my 2 week run and it was. You could also try leaving the tank with no stock in it the temp high just to kill any remaining spores or dry it out for a few days, I don't think ich can survive drying out. But I would likely qt for longer if you're still seeing spots.

Flyfisha

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
One spot on a fish still means the tank STILL has ich.
These parasites have 3 stages in their live only one stage is on the fish. You need to go at least a week without seeing any spots to say you are free from the parasite . Preferably two weeks.

New Threads