Transferring fish

fishtrooper

I have a few questions. I have been reading the articles on freshwater build but I can’t find anywhere where it talked about transferring old fish to new tank. I have a 55 gallon tank and I had bought a new 55 gallon tank that I am trying to set to transfer my fish to.

Question 1. If I buy the safe start, how long does it take to cycle in order for me to be able to transfer my fish. Do I just keep checking the parameters and once everything looks good, then I can move them?

Question 2. When I can move my fish, can I move them all at once? What is the best way to move them. Do I need to put them in bags like at the store and set them on-top of the water for a few minutes?

AquaticQueen

Don't use the safe start. The bottle claims it instantly cycles your tank but it's not true.
You could cycle the tank in about a couple weeks if you have another established tank.
Your plans for acclimating the fish sounds good. Float the bags for about 15-20 minutes. You could go longer, though.

JettsPapa

What are your plans for the old tank? If it won't be restocked immediately you could move the filter from it to the new tank, along with all the media, and then transfer all the fish.

As long as the temperatures are the same between the two tanks you should be able to transfer them directly, without bothering with putting them in bags and floating them.

StarGirl

Hello! As stated above no bottle bacteria is going to instantly cycle your tank. I don't know how they get away with this statement. If you plan on both tanks to stay running you could run the new filter in the old tank too for a few weeks to get it seeded also.

fishtrooper

JettsPapa said:
What are your plans for the old tank? If it won't be restocked immediately you could move the filter from it to the new tank, along with all the media, and then transfer all the fish.

As long as the temperatures are the same between the two tanks you should be able to transfer them directly, without bothering with putting them in bags and floating them.
I got a whole new setup including a new filter. I’m starting fresh. I didn’t do that before because I was new. Now I realize how beneficial it is to make sure it’s cycled before hand before adding fish. I’m hoping doing this will help my fish strive better.

StarGirl

Run both filters on the new tank and use as much decorations and gravel/sand as you can. I would even use the water even though they say it doesn't do much. I say the more you can help it along the better. Move everything in immediately. Like Jettspapa said make sure the temp is the same.

JettsPapa

fishtrooper said:
I got a whole new setup including a new filter. I’m starting fresh. I didn’t do that before because I was new. Now I realize how beneficial it is to make sure it’s cycled before hand before adding fish. I’m hoping doing this will help my fish strive better.
By running both filters the new tank will be "instantly cycled". You're basically transferring the cycle from the old tank to the new one. That's assuming you don't plan to stock the old tank right away.

Top Bottom