Transferring Diatoms

JMichaelD

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’ve been asked two questions I can’t figure out the answer to.

If an established tank has diatoms and you siphon that water to a different tank do you transfer diatoms along with the water?

Secondly, if you seed a second tank with filter media from a tank with diatoms will they infest the second tank?

I originally said not to use water with diatoms under any circumstances but now I’m second guessing myself. I don’t have any personal experience doing either of those. Anyone out there that might know if diatoms hitchhike or not?

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No need to fear diatoms. Eventually green algae will take it over. Here's a pic of two big rocks in my main tank. The rock on the left has green algae all over it, and has been in the tank three years. The rock on the right has only been in the tank a few weeks, and is covered with diatom. In a few months it will probably be green too.
20190316_165002.jpg

JMichaelD

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thank you, I like the aquascaping in the pic. That helps knowing that diatoms eventually convert to green algae. I think the green makes it more realistic.

I’m still not sure if diatoms would transfer to a new tank though. In other words if you have a 20 gallon tank with diatoms in it and siphon that water to a new 10 gallon set up, will the diatoms then take over the 10 gallon?

The other scenario I was asked about is if you totally remove diatoms from everything except the filter (Fluval/AC 50) will they be reintroduced right back into the cleaned tank from the filter?

Sorry for the “rookie” questions. I’ve kept aquariums most of my life but was always successful removing diatoms by cleaning the decor as soon as they showed up. I’ve been lucky.

-John

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Diatoms will eventually and temporarily take hold of any tank, especially new setups. Of course its possible, even likely that if cleaning multiple tanks using the same equipment diatom
spores will transfer from one tank to another. All that does is speed up the inevitable diatom stage of an aquariums maturation. I don't like diatoms either. You just have to wait it out.

Bikebookbread

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Diatoms will eventually and temporarily take hold of any tank, especially new setups. Of course its possible, even likely that if cleaning multiple tanks using the same equipment diatom
spores will transfer from one tank to another. All that does is speed up the inevitable diatom stage of an aquariums maturation. I don't like diatoms either. You just have to wait it out.
How long is the "wait it out" period? I've been waiting since before Christmastime of (2018 -- it's now March 28 2019).

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Might try a bigger weekly WC, and starve the diatom of nutrients. I do weekly 50% WC's on my tanks.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom