Transferring Cycled Media from Warm Water to Cold Water?? Question

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by stvpourciau, Dec 17, 2012.

1. stvpourciau

stvpourciauValued MemberMember

Hi All! 1st "real" post in a while. I'll jump right into it...

I have a well established tropical tank but I want to Pick up a Ryukin Goldfish.

Of course I'm going to hook up an additional filter in my tropical tank to cycle for the future Goldfish buddy.

Will taking the Media from warm water tropical to the Cold water Goldfish tank negatively impact the Beneficial Bacteria in any way?

2. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  3. LyleBWell Known MemberMember

Ken,

Did you mean to say it should NOT harm the BB?

I believe the only affect the temp difference will have is to slow the rate of growth of the BB colony.

Correct me if I'm wrong and missing something.

4. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Thanks Lyle...typo :) Oops!

You are correct about the growth rate being slower in cooler waters but it will not harm the beneficial bacteria.

Ken

5. JRC3

JRC3Well Known MemberMember

I tore a 29g down once and packed the 78 degree filter media in a bag with aquarium water. I took it all to a buddy but he decided that tank was too big for where he wanted to put it. The tank and media sat in my trunk for nearly two days in 40 degree weather. I set the tank back up at in my basement to cull 6 full grown head and tailight tetras as well as a 5" pleco until I could rehome them. The filter media didn't miss a step.

6. OP
    OP
    stvpourciau

stvpourciauValued MemberMember

Thanks guys, ^ I think that's what this project is (a 29 gal.) but I'm not too sure, can't find a tape measure...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice