1. Amazon Prime Day!
    Attention Amazon Prime Members: Not to miss deals on lots of products for 36 hours starting July 15!
    Go here: Amazon Prime Day Deals
    Dismiss Notice

Transferring Crayfish From One Tank To Another

Discussion in 'Crayfish - Crawfish' started by PabloFish, Apr 3, 2019.

1. PabloFishValued MemberMember

Hi, I bought a 10g tank exclusively for my crayfish, ever since she molted I feel like she grew a lot in two months and she also began chasing my dwarf gouramis.I already set up the 10g and it's been there for about 2-3 weeks and with 9 feeder minnows (RIP 1) I think it's ready to accept my crayfish. Both tanks are at same temperature but ph might be slightly different, is that going to be a problem? Minnows have been active and fine for 1 week, so it seems like tank is viable.

Thanks in advance.

2. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Have you made sure it's cycled? If it is you can move her no problem

3. richie.pWell Known MemberMember

I agree with @nikm128 the ph shouldn't be a problem from my experience the minnows will be safe as well, if thing are not right in the tank you'll know as he will Desperately try to get out to find cleaner water, they are very hard and adaptable and when it comes to survival they I think are the best in the business

4. PabloFishValued MemberMember

Thanks Nik, I'll do one last test for nitrites/nitrates before moving her.
    Richie, the water is clear for sure, there is no doubt as I've been doing 40% changes weekly and I've been feeding the tank even before the fish got in there, I'll make sure to run the tests just to be safe. Thanks again!

5. LuxuriantTenValued MemberMember

Shouldn't be a problem, post a picture of him in his tank when you've moved him :)

6. PabloFishValued MemberMember

Thanks, I checked the new tank, doesn't look like it's completely cycled, at least there is still trace amount of Ammonia, 0.5. Both nitrites and nitrates show near 0. Does this mean the sponge filter is not assisting in bacterial growth? I bought 20g sponge filter for my 10g tank.

Also for some reason my cray has been acting very shy in last two days. She's been always curious and active, moving around, last two days she is not getting out of her log unless I am feeding. She already went through eggs and molted recently.

7. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Have you added any ammonia source or bacteria booster?
    How long ago did she molt?

8. Suzanne2Valued MemberMember

The shyness may mean your crayfish is preparing to molt again soon. If she is young she will molt quite often. My crayfish always acts more shy before molting, then she stops eating and molts in the next day or so, after another day of hiding she will eat her molt and then she gets back to her normal self.

9. PabloFishValued MemberMember

I did not add anything, should I add API quick start in the new tank? I don't think the sponge filter is assisting with bacteria as much as HOB filter did in my other tank.
    She just molted around 3/16, isn't it too soon for another molt?

10. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

I would add a little tetra safe start, and some form of ammonia, bottled or ghost feeding

11. PabloFishValued MemberMember

Thank you, I didn't see ammonia at our local store, is it tank-specific ammonia? I'll get tetra safe start tomorrow.
    I tried ghost feeding, and the flakes just stayed attached to the sponge filter for days. I also dropped in a placo wafer and it just stayed there, it started crumbling and melting i eventually removed it and put more flakes.

As for the Mrs. Cray, I feed her one placo wafer every day, is that too little for 3.5" crayfish? She goes crazy whenever I feed the dwarf gouramis, she tries to climb up to the surface or chases after floating flakes, so I make sure to feed her first, then feed the gouramis. But I am worried one waver is not enough? Wafers go everywhere, it's very messy. I give her piece of carrot time to time but she stashes carrot somewhere and I think it gave me lots of detritus worms.

12. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Any ammonia that doesn't have surfacants(soapy stuff) will work. Try this  

I would do twice a day, that's what I do. I'd also feed her Hikari crab cuisine if you can

13. PabloFishValued MemberMember

Thanks, I'll pick up Hikari. I remember there was something I needed to make sure that's not in the ingredients. I thought it was Copper Sulfate? Which is why I went with Placo wafers.

14. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Actually inverts need trace amounts of copper to live, myself and many others have been using that food for a while and everything's good.

15. PabloFishValued MemberMember

Thanks Nikm. I wasn't challenging or doubting your suggestion, sorry if it sounded like that. I was trying to make sure if I remembered correctly, and if there is anything else I should avoid feeding my cray. I'll grab the Hikari today, and will begin feeding twice a day.

As for the cycling, would the ammonia hurt the minnows I have in there? It says fishless cycle, so I wanted to make sure if it will be OK for minnows?

16. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

No worries, I just see tons of people freak out when they find out their food has 0.1% or less copper in it when "copper kills inverts"

Totally forgot about the minnows, they're your source of ammonia. The only thing I'd add is TSS if you want to speed it up a little