Transfering fish

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by Teejay620, Jul 6, 2015.

1. T

Teejay620 Valued Member Member

I need to move my 150 gal tank. Can i siphon the water into a 30gal tank and keep them in that tank until i can set the 150 back up

Sent from my LGMS323 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. chrt396

chrt396 Well Known Member Member

It really depends on how long you are going to keep them in the 30g tank! Is there a large stock of fish..or just a few. There is not enough bacteria in the water to sustain the fish for a great length of time without going into a cycle. The instant ammonia caused by fish waste may send the ammonia levels spiking as well as nitrites. How many fish do you have..and what are the sizes? Keep in mind, the beneficial bacteria forms on all the surfaces of your tank. So....if you keep the 150g dry for a long period of time, you could lose what good bacteria you have built up in that as well.

How long is the 150g going to be down
    How many fish and what are they?

3. Tolak

Tolak Well Known Member Member

I'd fast the fish for a day or two, depending on size, before the move. Run your 150 gallon filter on the 30 gallon during the move. After setting up the 150 feed the fish lightly for the next few days. Less food means less waste produced, lighter feeding will compensate for any potential loss of nirtrifying bacteria on tank surfaces. As long as you're running a properly sized filter that loss should be minimal.

4. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

You should be fine as long as you move your filters over to the 30 at the same time. As far as bio-load goes you'll be fine, but in a tank that size your nitrates will probably rise rapidly. Cut back on feeding during this time. How long will the 150g be down.

5. OP
    OP
    T

I have 3 discus,1 ram,4 panda cories 2 clown loaches and 4 Siamese algea eaters. I cant use the sump on my 30 gal but i can use the filter pads in a hob filter, i also have a sun sun i could use on it. I need to keep them in there for alittle while till i dont need to move anything anymore

6. OP
    OP
    T

Bump

7. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

I think your plan of taking the pads out and putting them in an hob is good. Also if you can use your sun sun I would. The more you can move over the better.

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

8. OP
    OP
    T

Should i run all the filters on the 150gal that im gunna use on the 30 gal to seed them for when i move the fish over

9. alink

alink Well Known Member Member

How long is a little while? couple hours, couple days, weeks?

10. OP
    OP
    T

Could be a month or so

11. OP
    OP
    T

could also be permanent

12. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

All of those fish will not do well together in a 30 gal for a month or two or permanently. It sounds like your best bet would be to rehome most of the fish. You could probably keep the ram and the cories.

13. chrt396

chrt396 Well Known Member Member

Thread needs to close

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice