10 Gallon Tank Transfering Bacteria from Established to New?

sarxlives

Hello again everyone!

I am glad to say after a hard start with my aquarium I now have a properly established tank.

Recently, I have acquired a new tank and was about to begin a fishless cycling. However, as time went on I began to wonder, would it be possible to somehow transfer some of the good bacteria from my established tank to my new one? If it is, how exactly could it be done. If not, why is that?

Any help is appreciated!

BigManAquatics

Hello again everyone!

I am glad to say after a hard start with my aquarium I now have a properly established tank.

Recently, I have acquired a new tank and was about to begin a fishless cycling. However, as time went on I began to wonder, would it be possible to somehow transfer some of the good bacteria from my established tank to my new one? If it is, how exactly could it be done. If not, why is that?

Any help is appreciated!
The easiest way is to just transfer the established media. What i like to do is run a sponge filter for a month or two in the established aquarium then put the sponge filter in the new tank.

Upvote 0

Salem

Yes it definitely can work and a lot of people actually keep extra media in their filters for this exact reason!
It doesn't work as well if you just have a single sponge filter though. You can still use your existing tank to help speed things along though, I've done this twice in the past- once with a 15 gallon and once with my 20 long. What I did is fill the new tank about half way with fresh water then fill as much as I can with water from the existing tank. Over the next week or so I continue to add water from old tank into the new one, all the while still 'feeding' the tank ammonia through fish food. If you have anything porous in the old tank like driftwood or terracotta you can move them into the new tank to help it along a bit as well. Usually by the end of the week I'm basically cycled and have only trace amounts of ammonia left. By then I can either give it another few days or just use Prime to detoxify it and add my stock then.
I kind of did a very similar thing with my first tank too. I very suddenly rescued a betta before my tank was set up and kept him in a ~3 gallon tub for the first week or so. Every day I would do 50% water changes to keep that water completely clean but I would then dump that dirty water into the 7 gallon tank I had actually got for him. Basically a traditional fishless cycle but using his own waste as an ammonia source. I've since jokingly called it the fishless fish-in method.
However! Please note that all my tanks have been on the small side. I think it could work on bigger tanks but I highly doubt it would be faster than trying to cycle it normally. I'm fairly certain the fact that my tanks have been small has actually been half the reason it works so quickly.

Upvote 0

T4Z

Just as RonP says. Thats what I do when setting up new aquarium plus I add water from cycled tank to new. Just monitor after.

Upvote 0

sarxlives

Alright. I'm planning on doing a water change for my established aquarium later so I'll transfer over some of the old water into the new tank and I'll try to add the new media into the established tank for at least a day.

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

Alright. I'm planning on doing a water change for my established aquarium later so I'll transfer over some of the old water into the new tank and I'll try to add the new media into the established tank for at least a day.

It's my understanding that a day or two won't be long enough to get a significant amount of bacteria on the media. Several weeks is generally recommended. I haven't seen any science on it, but maybe someone else knows of some.

Upvote 0

sarxlives

Alright. Got it. Thanks!

Upvote 0

RonP

Try to use media that has been in the cycled tank for a longer period of time. Take like half..not all from the cycled filter..

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
poorguy
Replies
Views
DebsAngel
  • Question
Replies
Views
mrsP