Advertising

1. Amazon PRIME Day is today!
    Stock up on aquarium goodies!

No PRIME membership? No problem, sign up for a 30 Day Free Prime Trial to take advantage of the PRIME day sale prices!

Dismiss Notice

transfering a newly cycled filter to bigger tank Question

1. Algae Eater

Algae Eater Well Known Member Member

I am cycling (fishless) a MARINELAND Bio-Wheel 350 in a new 10 gallon tank and when the filter is finished cycling I plan on transfering it to a 55 gallon tank when I have that all set up. I wanted to cycle the filter as soon as I got it so that when I set up the actual tank it is meant for I wouldn't have to wait so long to add fish . But it occured to me that transfering the filter, especially to a bigger tank, might cause it to have a mini cycle. If anybody knows anything about this, or how long a mini cycle might take, please share any tips!
    Thanks! ~Chris :;f :;fb :;fg :;fr

2. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi Chris congrats on cycling without fish. :)
    You're right.
    It's harder to seed a larger tank from a smaller one. The colony of bacteria on the 10g filter would be small compared to what you'd need in the 55.
    However, you do have a good start.
    If it were my tank, I'd put the seeded filter in the 55, bring the ammonia up to 4-5ppm and see how long it takes to process.
    If after 12-24 hrs, your ammonia and nitrites are 0, you'll know you're cycled.
    Oh, of course, you should have nitrates for their effort. lol

3. OP
    OP
    Algae Eater

Algae Eater Well Known Member Member

Thanks for the info! ~Chris

Advertising