Transfer Of Bb From Old Filter To New

SammyShuford

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have been running a Fluval FX4 for many months, typical media. I have added a second FX4, setup with Seachem Matrix in the bottom half, Bio Sponge and polishing filters in top.

How long will this system need to run for the Bio Bed to transfer to new system. Not removing old Fx4, just clean out and new media.

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
SammyShuford said:
I have been running a Fluval FX4 for many months, typical media. I have added a second FX4, setup with Seachem Matrix in the bottom half, Bio Sponge and polishing filters in top.

How long will this system need to run for the Bio Bed to transfer to new system. Not removing old Fx4, just clean out and new media.
any reason why you want to replace old media full of your established bacteria with new media?

adding a new filter is like building a new suburb for your BB to move in from the big city. but unless you're also increasing BB food (ammonia), you won't increase the total amount of bb overall. so when you clean the old filter & change the media, you'll lose a bunch of BB and possibly have a mini cycle.

most people say it's about a month for BB to colonize the new media. but I would suggest just rinsing your old media clean in a bucket of tank water & only replacing a max of 25% per month if you really want to replace with new for some reason

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom