Transfer Fish Too Big To Catch How Do I

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by nikm128, Jan 13, 2019.

1. nikm128Well Known MemberMember

So I'm upgrading a tank this week, but some of the fish are either too big to net, or can't be caught with a net. The ones too big are a ~10" pleco and two full grown angelfish. The ones I can't use a net for are some pictus catfish; I'm probably going to try and scoop them into a cup, but I'm open to ideas. How should I get the pleco and angels out though?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  2. WraithenWell Known MemberMember

The angels should be able to be caught in a bigger net. Depending on the pleco, you may be able to corral it with a big net and then grab it by hand.

3. OP
    OP
    n

nikm128Well Known MemberMember

Would it harm the pleco to wear a rubber glove? It's a common with spines all over his back so I don't think it would be a great idea to just grab him

4. WraithenWell Known MemberMember

The rubber glove wont hurt anything, just make sure it isnt powdered and hasnt been used with anything.

5. david1978

david1978Fishlore LegendMember

Fair warning. Thin rubber gloves will not help. The thick ones for dish washing might. I still have a scar from wrestling my common out of tank. Lol

6. OP
    OP
    n

That's what I was planning on using :)

7. Skavatar

SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

maybe a larger net from the Sports and Outdoor store, or a colander, or storage container/large tupperware. remove the decor and drain some of the water.

8. Culprit

CulpritFishlore VIPMember

Get a really big net. Hold the back end of it across. So its taut. Then just scoop the fish out of the water. A large colander would also work very well. Drain enough of the water so that they're barely in water, there should be a fin or two sticking out. A lot easier to catch that way.

9. OP
    OP
    n

Thanks! I'll see which one of those is easier to do.
    @david1978 how was the temper of the common you moved? Mine is usually really calm but obviously fish don't like being grabbed and taken out of the water. Basically I'm worried he might get too fired up and thrash so hard he hurts himself of makes me lose my grip

10. OP
    OP
    n

Also does anyone know of a better way to catch pictus than using a cup?

11. WraithenWell Known MemberMember

You could bait them into a container like a large bottle if they will fit into it. Just make sure its plastic so you dont have to pour them out the small part, you can just cut it off.

12. OP
    OP
    n

That could work, I'll try replacing their favorite hiding spots with something like that so they hopefully swim in and I can just pull it out

13. fissh

fisshWell Known MemberMember

The pacu, use a pillow case. The angels use a 10" high quality fine mesh net. The pictus the cup or tubberware sounds good. If you can't get them that way, a very course high quality net. My be you can rent one from the LFS

14. OP
    OP
    n

A pillowcase? Interesting, I'll look into that more

15. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

some kitchengear ?

16. OP
    OP
    n

I'm not sure yet. I do have a full week to figure out what I'm doing to move them so I have plenty of time for suggestions

17. H Farnsworth

H FarnsworthValued MemberMember

If you have any large mason jars or similar item you could put food in and sink it. Make a fish trap basically

18. david1978

david1978Fishlore LegendMember

Mine was calm till I got a hold of him. I think the key is once you have a hold don't let go. Let it calm down then pull it from the tank. For pictus and fish with barbs I used to have a big pickle jar. But any gallon picture would work the same way.

19. OP
    OP
    n

Hey guys, this transfer is about to end in disaster if I can't figure something out fast. If you could take a look at this thread Question - What Filter Should I Add I would greatly appreciate it. The issue is mentioned on the second page of the thread

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice