Training Goldfish - Is this safe?

flepsfish
I'm interested in training my goldfish (when I get one), and was intrigued by the R2 school training for fish set. However, the kit doesn't fit my budget for what it is. As such, I looked for alternatives around my house (just want a small ball my fish could push around) and found this tabletop/pocket bowling toy.

I'm wondering if the balls or even the bowling pins (see attached photos) are safe for aquarium use. I don't intend to put the ball in the tank at all times, just when I want to "play" -note, the balls are some plastic material but Idk what it is

Aside from the safety of the ball, is the simple act of trying to train my goldfish dangerous? I want to get a lionhead goldfish and have heard their wem is prone to infections, so would the use of a target stick and such be dangerous (goldfish swims against the stick and cuts itself)?

I also would like to train my fish to play ring toss. For this, I intend to use non-toxic hot glue to attach a plastic straw to a stone. Then, use the rings found on bottle caps as the... well, rings. Would any of this pose a safety danger?

Thank you so much!

StarGirl
Your pictures didnt show up. You can use new ping pong balls for them to play with.

flepsfish
StarGirl said:
Your pictures didnt show up. You can use new ping pong balls for them to play with.
Apologies! I forgot to add them in earlier (edited them quickly after but I'm not sure if it worked). I've attached the photos to the reply!

Ping pong balls sound like a great idea, thank you! As for the ring toss, do you think it would be safe for fish?

StarGirl
flepsfish said:
Apologies! I forgot to add them in earlier (edited them quickly after but I'm not sure if it worked). I've attached the photos to the reply!

Ping pong balls sound like a great idea, thank you! As for the ring toss, do you think it would be safe for fish?
Im not sure how that would work exactly. I dont think a stone would be able to be tossed by a fish? I wouldnt use a stick either. That does seem risky.

flepsfish
StarGirl said:
Im not sure how that would work exactly. I dont think a stone would be able to be tossed by a fish? I wouldnt use a stick either. That does seem risky.
Oh I should elaborate, sorry! The stone would act as a base to weigh down the straw, which would act as the stick the fish would put the rings around. The thing the fish would be tossing would be bottle cap rings.

Hope that cleared it up a bit! something like ->
1617657814013.png

StarGirl
flepsfish said:
Oh I should elaborate, sorry! The stone would act as a base to weigh down the straw, which would act as the stick the fish would put the rings around. The thing the fish would be tossing would be bottle cap rings.

Hope that cleared it up a bit! something like ->
1617657814013.png
I dont think I would use a straw. It may cut him still. You need something round at the top. I don't think a fish would be able to do this anyway....

AggressiveAquatics
Fish are smart but not smart enough to learn how to do ring toss. It’s more likely he’ll eat the rings

flepsfish
StarGirl said:
I dont think I would use a straw. It may cut him still. You need something round at the top. I don't think a fish would be able to do this anyway....
oooo maybe I'll put a dollop of hot glue to round the top. just thinking to myself rn, the bottle cap rings might be sharp so maybe I'll pick up some susan bates plastic bone ring which are made of sturdy and dry cleanable plastics

and yeah, I have no experience with training fish whatsoever so let alone the fish's ability, it is still out of reach XD but as long as it's safe, I'll do it for the cute points lol
AggressiveAquatics said:
Fish are smart but not smart enough to learn how to do ring toss. It’s more likely he’ll eat the rings
oh no... that would not be good. Instead of bottle cap rings, if I used susan bates plastics (some crochet ring thing, sturdy and dry-cleanable plastic), would it be safe? Safe as in, even if the fish can't do ring toss, it wouldn't eat it (just push the ring around at most)?

AggressiveAquatics
flepsfish said:
oooo maybe I'll put a dollop of hot glue to round the top. just thinking to myself rn, the bottle cap rings might be sharp so maybe I'll pick up some susan bates plastic bone ring which are made of sturdy and dry cleanable plastics

and yeah, I have no experience with training fish whatsoever so let alone the fish's ability, it is still out of reach XD but as long as it's safe, I'll do it for the cute points lol

oh no... that would not be good. Instead of bottle cap rings, if I used susan bates plastics (some crochet ring thing, sturdy and dry-cleanable plastic), would it be safe? Safe as in, even if the fish can't do ring toss, it wouldn't eat it (just push the ring around at most)?
I’d assume it’s safe but I’ve never used that. But maybe look for a fish soccer set. I’ve seen a video of goldfish playing soccer and I think they sell the set on Amazon

flepsfish
AggressiveAquatics said:
I’d assume it’s safe but I’ve never used that. But maybe look for a fish soccer set. I’ve seen a video of goldfish playing soccer and I think they sell the set on Amazon
yeah, I was looking at that but figured the costs weren't worth it since I'd only be using the balls, net, and basketball hoop so I tried thinking of alternatives... buuuut the set seems like the safest bet so I'll probably go with that! Better safe, than sorry!

Thank you so much!

Top Bottom