Training Fish

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by BottomDweller, Apr 24, 2017.

1. BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Hi everyone

I train my goldfish to do simple tricks like swimming through a hoop and eating out my hand. I got a betta a few weeks ago and he's mastered these tricks very quickly. Now I've run out of ideas of what to train him. Does anyone else train their fish? I made this thread for people to share tricks they've taught their fish. I tried looking online but everywhere said flaring, jumping, following your finger and swimming through a hoop.

If possible could you list tricks you have taught and what type of fish

Goldfish-
    Swimming through a hoop
    Eating out of my hand
    Follow my finger

Betta-
    Swimming through a hoop
    Eating out of my hand
    Follow my finger
    Weaving through 4 poles
    Swims in a circle

Next trick will be pushing a ball

Thanks in advance, I look forward to hearing about clever fish and getting some ideas!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  2. Lchi87ModeratorModerator Member

I'd love to see videos of your fish performing. :)

This isn't really a trick but I tap on the glass cover of the tank when I get ready to feed so that my fish are conditioned to come out when they hear the taps. Less food is wasted and I can easily get a head count. Its good to do this while sticking a net in the tank so they're less net-shy.

3. BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Cool! I don't know how to upload a video. Might be able to upload pictures later though.

4. FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

Like my kids I sleep trained my fish by turning off the lights.

5. DanielleFishWell Known MemberMember

Bettas.

Bandit: JUMP through a hoop; flare on command; jump for food

Blueflame: swim through hoop; jump for food; come on command

Shy (my current fish): come on command (working on consistency); flare at finger (again, working on consistency; jump for food; follow a target stick (just started this)

If you're interested in how I taught them, reply!!

PS: how did you get your Betta to swim thru 4 poles?

6. Lchi87ModeratorModerator Member

Pics/video or it didn't happen people ;) LOL

7. Neptune334Valued MemberMember

@DanielleFish
    I would be very interested in learning how you taught your fish these tricks, especially coming on command.

8. Ohio MarkWell Known MemberMember

I didn't realize it WAS possible to train fish... Hmm. So, besides training our two poodles (very limited success so far) and horses, I can now train my fish? :) Nah... not going to happen with guppies! They do, however, recognize the sound of the cupboard door opening and associate it with feeding so they all flutter to the top and front. I like the idea of putting the net in there to get them less net-spooked. What a good idea, Lchi87!

9. DanielleFishWell Known MemberMember

10. Lchi87ModeratorModerator Member

Thanks!!! Its tough going, training them to be less net-shy but its worth the hassle. My guys flinch still but they don't immediately head for the hills... Every second counts LOL.

11. OnTheFlyWell Known MemberMember

I taught my guppies to have babies every 28 days. And when I drop food in the tank they swim to the top every time. They are very gifted fish.

:)

12. Ohio MarkWell Known MemberMember

Yes, every second does count and when the tank is filled with lots of wisteria (great for fry hiding out from hungry adults but less great for me trying to catch them to give away or cull), less net-shy fish would be great.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice