Status
Not open for further replies.

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi everyone

I train my goldfish to do simple tricks like swimming through a hoop and eating out my hand. I got a betta a few weeks ago and he's mastered these tricks very quickly. Now I've run out of ideas of what to train him. Does anyone else train their fish? I made this thread for people to share tricks they've taught their fish. I tried looking online but everywhere said flaring, jumping, following your finger and swimming through a hoop.

If possible could you list tricks you have taught and what type of fish

Goldfish-
Swimming through a hoop
Eating out of my hand
Follow my finger

Betta-
Swimming through a hoop
Eating out of my hand
Follow my finger
Weaving through 4 poles
Swims in a circle

Next trick will be pushing a ball

Thanks in advance, I look forward to hearing about clever fish and getting some ideas!

Last edited:

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'd love to see videos of your fish performing.

This isn't really a trick but I tap on the glass cover of the tank when I get ready to feed so that my fish are conditioned to come out when they hear the taps. Less food is wasted and I can easily get a head count. Its good to do this while sticking a net in the tank so they're less net-shy.

DanielleFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Bettas.

Bandit: JUMP through a hoop; flare on command; jump for food

Blueflame: swim through hoop; jump for food; come on command

Shy (my current fish): come on command (working on consistency); flare at finger (again, working on consistency; jump for food; follow a target stick (just started this)

If you're interested in how I taught them, reply!!

PS: how did you get your Betta to swim thru 4 poles?

Ohio Mark

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I didn't realize it WAS possible to train fish... Hmm. So, besides training our two poodles (very limited success so far) and horses, I can now train my fish? Nah... not going to happen with guppies! They do, however, recognize the sound of the cupboard door opening and associate it with feeding so they all flutter to the top and front. I like the idea of putting the net in there to get them less net-spooked. What a good idea, Lchi87!

DanielleFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
@DanielleFish
I would be very interested in learning how you taught your fish these tricks, especially coming on command.[/QUOT

Well, with come on command, there are a few steps.
1. Snap your fingers right before you feed him, so he learns to associate that sound with food. (this takes about 1week.)
2. Once he's comfortable with snap = food, LIGHTLY tap the glass or wiggle your fingers at him. Most bettas will come if you do this. Once the Betta approaches you, IMMEDIATELY snap and reward.
Repeat this until your Betta comes when you tap/wiggle fingers.

Hope I helped! I'm still working with Shy on this. We'll get there; he's a smart guy!

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I didn't realize it WAS possible to train fish... Hmm. So, besides training our two poodles (very limited success so far) and horses, I can now train my fish? Nah... not going to happen with guppies! They do, however, recognize the sound of the cupboard door opening and associate it with feeding so they all flutter to the top and front. I like the idea of putting the net in there to get them less net-spooked. What a good idea, Lchi87!
Thanks!!! Its tough going, training them to be less net-shy but its worth the hassle. My guys flinch still but they don't immediately head for the hills... Every second counts LOL.

Ohio Mark

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks!!! Its tough going, training them to be less net-shy but its worth the hassle. My guys flinch still but they don't immediately head for the hills... Every second counts LOL.
Yes, every second does count and when the tank is filled with lots of wisteria (great for fry hiding out from hungry adults but less great for me trying to catch them to give away or cull), less net-shy fish would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom