Trahana’s Gobies and more (photo heavy)

OP
trahana

trahana

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
4BE704F8-B554-4D1C-918D-0337D3FA1958.jpeg
the baby mollies are almost big enough to swim in the main tank! I still have nine and they are all happy to see me, these little guys knowwhere the food comes from.
The male gobies have no obvious injuries, and are still trying to occupy the same corner of the tank. I think the status quo changed when the baby mollies started living in that corner. Either the goby think it’s a great spot because the fry are food, or they think it’s a premium spawning ground because there is already baby fish there. I think it’s the latter. The mak goby will sit on the tank glass and watch the fry. The females don’t care. Maybe they think the mollies are their babies? Gobies are so weird and interesting fish.

Pythia

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Could we have another update please? I really like you fish and your tanks! :)

OP
trahana

trahana

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’ve been building a paladrium out of a 20g for the fabulous black and red betta I had in the 40g in a mesh box. Which means I forgot to prune my 40g.7DEBB1AA-C16D-4F8A-AA67-DA1342EE8F24.jpeg
It’s mostly rotala. It’s so overgrown I can’t see the cords and filter, or the backdrop. I’ll prune tomorrow.
F97C07C3-3327-49B7-BBC9-DDAE2B6C096A.jpeg
here’s the mostly finished pic of my 20g paladrium
I made a separate thread for the building of it. I’ll post occasionally pics and updates of what grows since this is my first paladrium. I bought peacock moss and asparagus fern, the rest of the land moss I foraged for in the local canyon stream.
the aquatic plants are from my other aquariums. It holds 6.5 gallons of water, and has a small blue ceramic mushroom. It’s 90% filter. The back of the aquatic area is full of lava rocks which will house bacteria and the stream is gravel and sand siliconed down which will also house bacteria. I can’t wait to see if it’s cycles already, I did dump bacteria in a bottle in it.
Drake loves the cave, he’s often inside it when I walk up, I think this is a great betta design. It’s on display in my dining room and is very cheerful looking.

OP
trahana

trahana

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
D6346722-BFFC-42DF-8FF9-240FC5242D00.jpeg
much pruning took place. I have released the nine baby mollies into the main tank. Hopefully my judgment was good on the size of them. If not momma molly is pregnant, like all adult female mollies are.

AquaCaitlin

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Man, I’m finding so many good threads today! All your tanks looks beautiful!

OP
trahana

trahana

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I feed the tank and only counted 8 baby mollies so now I have 8 babies in an ugly mesh box again. Domino has a torn his tail fin, probably the minnows or another fish where curious and chased them. The gobies are definitely being predatory, all of them where sitting on higher perches, mostly because mollies swim near the surface.
FBA6F602-2D68-49A8-81B5-107F0A961809.jpeg
Domino with some food in his mouth. This is the mesh box I had Drake the betta in. I like it better then the breeder net because it has better current and the poop circulates out or down. It grows algae but stays clean!
26507138-1417-4EC2-8B93-24A9AF1D9F56.jpeg
Frosty the betta says hi. He makes my plants look small.

OP
trahana

trahana

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I guess the switched up loafers because now I can’t seem to insert pictures! :yuck:
well I was about to go to bed when I noticed a baby outside my mesh box. The little molly had wiggle out through a gape(now plugged). In my rush to capture the molly before someone ate him i put my glass lid in an unusual place. After catching the baby I returned him to the box and stepped right on the glass, breaking it. I only have a small cut, and now I have a funny review on a glass lids too.
my two male goby are still sparring occasionally, but no injuries. The smaller male is now more vivid and has become the boss male! It was interesting watch the larger fatter male swim away when the smaller male challenged him.

Attachments

OP
trahana

trahana

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I was going to attach a picture of Drake and the paladrium but I'm using my new tablet, which apparently doesn't attach files from my pictures app. Weird.
The paladrium is doing well, I just tested the water and I have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and about 4 nitrate! Nothing like a good filter and a bottle of bacteria to cycle a tank in just two weeks.

OP
trahana

trahana

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My preferred uploader is back!
86A0F155-0905-4267-97A9-75A2677B49FF.jpeg
I have spotted shrimplets in my tank! This little one is number three of my confirmed baby shrimp. I’ve been seeing what looks like speeding grainsof sand for two weeks and now I know they are shrimp! I’m glad that my shrimp are reproducing and the shrimplets are surviving.

0E4D21D9-6D29-4AFC-B010-D4B083BAC1A0.jpeg
my scarlet Badis is out hunting. I bet he loves eating all the little bugs and shrimp he finds. I still haven’t seen him eat pellets, but his of good weight so he’s eating something.

OP
trahana

trahana

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mama molly has given birth to round 2. I forget if I’ve mentioned this before but my fish live in my bedroom(40g headboard). So after I took a shower I came ove to feed my babies and low and behold I see tiny fry in with my baby mollies! The little ones wiggles through the mesh to school with their big siblings. So after shedding my robe I caught 8 little ones and put thin in the breeders net(the traditional net). Only hard core fish hobbyists stand elbows deep in water with not a stitch on. At 8 babies I don’t see any more so I look at mama fish in time to see a baby fry almost explode from her! It was ridiculous to see her give birth with the fry swimming forth like a rocket, talk about a jump start in life!
I put momma in the breeders net and turned off all the lights at let her be for about two hours. I think I have about 15 babies for this round. ADB69103-1453-4448-9800-5851BEAEC1B0.jpeg

OP
trahana

trahana

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
DD43F8C6-9530-46CC-A0CB-80ADBB7FC97C.jpeg
my lovely babies. Domino has some yellow lipstick. Each one has a bit different shading going on, there is only one that’s really yellow and the rest are piebald and shaded yellow.
FDE4E1BB-32AE-4248-9F11-301242018F37.jpeg
we are now on 20+ babies for the new generation, this morning before work I netted three, and after work four more. I fed them powdered fish food and they are happily nibbling.

OP
trahana

trahana

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Aaaaaasah! I caught my hillstream loach on the ground! He was eating bug bites, the food I feed my fish. This is the Best photos I’ve ever gotten of my hillstream loaches. They are just so shy, I think he went back to the glass the moment he noticed me.
2D206C45-04D2-4515-99C0-0F6B653319BE.jpeg55B15BEB-2A18-44EA-B2C2-A20B814DBCCE.jpegFBCDA33B-D3D5-4EDA-9DAF-4FECAE0B942F.jpeg
he did it again, and I got a great close up
1C6C020F-4E48-4321-A35F-0765139494D1.jpeg

kattiq

Reaction score
I honestly love the look and diversity of your aquarium! Literally something I'd dream of having someday. :)
I also have thought about possibly getting a badis for my aquarium but I'd love to get my plants a little more crazy and overgrown first.

OP
trahana

trahana

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tough news: I euthanized Drake today, my betta in the paladrium. He had culmanarius, it had spread over half his body and eaten his ventral fin to the body. I had not seen drake in about a day and a half, he had hidden in his cave so When I found him today it was to late to threat him and more humane to euthanize. I hate euthanizing my fish, I wish I had bothered him to get him out of his cave.
I tested the water and it’s 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 5-7 nitrates. My test kit expiration date is 10/2020, but I think I’m going to buy a new test kit and throw this one out early just in case.
Baby molly pictures to follow soon

OP
trahana

trahana

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
5DB51910-E696-406F-AEBA-CA3672FB39A8.jpeg
One has two black eyes, there are a few with a singe black eye, and they are all the left eye. Domino has a dark right eye.
5904019F-9081-41DC-A8CC-4457E1D99498.jpeg

New Threads