Tragedy over the weekend... | Page 2

Discussion in 'Betta Breeding' started by Red1313, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Shawnie

ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +175
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    OMG red :( Im so very sorry!!!
    I know you have been so excited for these guys/gals
    big hugs!!:;hug2

2. Tana

TanaValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +21
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Red, I'm so sorry for your losses and I hope Draco pulls through . Do you have an airstone going in his tank?

3. redlessi

redlessiWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +5
    Experience:
    3 years
    So sorry for your loss, I hope Draco makes it....

4. Martinismommy

MartinismommyFishlore VIPMember

Where the Earth moves but the traffic doesn't! Cal
    Ratings:
    +70
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Oh Red I am so sorry to be reading this! I haven't been able to get on fishlore all weekend because of computer issues......

The one thing I think you can rule out is the containers....I have used those in my fishroom for years and had no problems.....I agree with you that it is unlikely the transhipper unbagged the fish on his end.....They usually send them in the original bags from the breeder.....

This one has me stumped! With no visible signs of illness it makes me think it may have been a heater issue....What were you feeding them and how much? What did you treat the water with? Water changes are a good thing but it is possible to stress them out with too many once they 1st arrive....

I want you to know my heart bleeds for you right now Red.....I know how excited you were to breed the little guys.....You had done everything right! I wish there was something I could do to make this better.....Just know we are all here for you......

(Hugs) Karen~

5. Flyfrod

FlyfrodValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Sorry to hear about the loss of your fish. I too had the same thing happen with my Thai boys. They were fine for 3 days then all at once I lost 3 of the 4.:;hug2

6. bubblefish

bubblefishValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    5 years
    Sorry for your loss. Did your friends wash their hands really well or wear gloves? Do any of them use hand lotions? Since you weren't gone very long and didn't notice anything before you left, I'm thinking that this could be due to some kind of contamination of the water.

7. OP
    OP
    Red1313

Red1313Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +37
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Thanks everyone <HUGS ACCEPTED>

Draco was still with me this morning and is still holding his own now. I think that the Tetracycline did help since he's no longer laying flat on the bottom of his tank but is hanging out on the side mostly upright.

Tana: No none of the container's had airstones though I didn't think that would make a difference with the Betta's being labyrinth fish. None of my other tanks are aerated with anything other then the filters and two of the Ontario kids in a 3 and 5 (gallon) are unfiltered right now but don't seem to be having problems with it.

Karen: <HUGS back> Glad to know about the containers. I thought of the heaters but it didn't make sense to me that in one bath it was the fish in the middle of the tank that passed away and in the other it was the first two and that heater was turned down a bit lower (since it's more oversized then the others and I didn't want to risk cooking the kids). Before I left they were being fed 2x a day, once with frozen blood worms and once with Hikari pellets (not the best I know but the Atison's is on order from the BBC and should be in later this week). Water Changes were done with prime at proper dosing, and the kids didn't seem to be overly stressed by the changes.

Flyrod: <HUGS back to you>

bubble: They weren't showing any symptoms prior to me leaving, the Red Boy was in the process of Constructing a MASSIVE bubble nest and Draco had done the same. And since all 6 had their WC's done at the same time on Saterday it doesn't make "much" sense to me that 2 of the six would continue to show no symptoms if that's what it was...

<HUGS>
    Thank you all for your support. It's really nice to know that you guys understand. <hugs>

8. Martinismommy

Ratings:
    +70
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Red, did she feed them bloodworms while you were gone? I've had Betta's choke and die if not fed properly....

9. OP
    OP
    Red1313

Ratings:
    +37
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    No while I was gone they were just getting the Hikari pellets once a day just to keep it easy for her I didn't think the Hikari pellets would hurt for the weekend and she was feeding them one pellet at a time to make sure that there wasn't any left un-eaten in the containers.

I've never heard of a fish choking on blood worms (though I can see the greedy little porkers doing it) what's the proper technique?

10. Martinismommy

Ratings:
    +70
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I use a cheese grater......I grate them frozen and then wash them in a brine shrimp net.....

11. OP
    OP
    Red1313

Ratings:
    +37
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Hmm... I'll have to try that (I'v got a couple extra cheese graters around) I've just been thawing them then hand feeding them only a few worms at a time. The pets will eat them from my fingers but the new kids won't so I was using a small wire with a couple draped over it to feed them. They wouldn't leap for it but they'd grab the ends in the water.

12. Charlemagne

CharlemagneValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    2 years
    Awwwww, I'm so sorry Red! <hugs> I've only had to go through losing a betta once, but that was hard enough. I hope Draco pulls through! I'm glad he's looking a bit better.

13. harpua2002

harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +124
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Sorry for the losses. What a shame. :(

14. critter_fritter79

critter_fritter79Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    3 years
    Hope things are getting better up there! Sending my strongest healing thoughts and wishes for you Draco!!

15. marina3

marina3Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    Experience:
    Just started
    I just read your post...SO sorry...I really hope Dracon makes it!!:;group

16. Algae Eater

Algae EaterWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience: