Trading in my guppies, possibly

neverendingninja
I'm considering giving my guppies to the LFS and picking up some egg layers instead. After my guppies dropped just one small batch of fry, if I let them grow out, they're going to put me just over my bio-load. I think I'd be better off getting some non-live bearers. I think the harlequin rasboras are pretty, and I'd be able to fit a school of 9 in my tank and I'd go just .5" over the 1 inch per gallon rule, but since my nitrates DECREASE between water changes, I think I'd be ok.

Anyway, I don't want to limit my choices...what are some other small fish I could fit in the tank? Any ideas? No neons, though. By the way, lets say we have 15 inches of fish to play with.

capekate
HI NEN
Boy do I love Rosbora's. And a school of Harlequins would look fantastic! ;D
They are such a peaceful fish that you can pretty much have any other peaceful fish with them. How about a school of Harlequins and a school of rummy nose tetras? they are pretty peaceful. Also there are three different types of the harlequins available, the Harlequin, the golden harlequin and the black harlequin. You can either mix them up if you can find the other two types or just go with the harlequin and rummynose? They prefer the low end PH and soft water, I would love to have them in my tank.

~ kate

jack11
did you definantly want a schooling fish?

jack

neverendingninja
I think so. I definitely want something small, they don't have to be schooling though. My two pairs of cichlids feel quite well established, and I think bringing in any other "big" fish might upset them.

Kevin
I think rasboras would look really good in your tank...and they shouldn't bother your cichlids

neverendingninja
Well....I went with the rasboras. I only got 6, as that's all they had in stock, but I got two free because I brought in the guppies. I also picked up a farlowella cat. I couldn't help it!

Oh well, I'm still under my bio-load, imo. My nitrates drop from 10ppm right after water changes to about 5ppm seven days later.

I still have one guppy fry...apparently it was hiding from me when I caught the rest of them. I just about destroyed my tank trying to get the guppies out, too. I ripped up a bunch of stem plants, wisteria, a large amazon sword, a dwarf lily.

Anyway, they're drip acclimating right now. Pictures to come.

Kevin
cool, I know you're gonna like those little guys
i've heard they turn a dark red color in adulthood
good luck w/ them!

capekate
Well....I went with the rasboras. I only got 6, as that's all they had in stock, but I got two free because I brought in the guppies. I also picked up a farlowella cat. I couldn't help it!

Oh well, I'm still under my bio-load, imo. My nitrates drop from 10ppm right after water changes to about 5ppm seven days later.

I still have one guppy fry...apparently it was hiding from me when I caught the rest of them. I just about destroyed my tank trying to get the guppies out, too. I ripped up a bunch of stem plants, wisteria, a large amazon sword, a dwarf lily.

Anyway, they're drip acclimating right now. Pictures to come.
Hey NEN~
that is fantastic! Good for you, I bet they are just great. Isnt it fun to get a whole new species in your tank?

~ kate

neverendingninja
Well....everyone seems happy...except for the SAE. When I got back from picking up my wife from work, he was chasing the rasboras around the tank quite ferociously. He never exhibited any violent behavior towards the guppies, but perhaps the rapid movements of the rasboras set him off. Any how, one rasbora was already killed, and the rest were tightly schooled and running from him.

I caught him once, which again almost destroyed my tank. I had to remove the sword and lily again. It also took the assistance of my wife to corral him, both of us using a net. Then, my son came in and grabbed the net I had him in(it was supported across the tank, with the net resting in the water) and dumped him in. So, I had to catch him again. Then, while fixing the tank....I knocked the net in the water!!!! AHHGHGHGHHHH!! So, a third time, I had to chase him down. I had to remove the sword, lily and all three large decorations. So, I caught him...he's in the net again, and now I'm off to see if walmart has a floating breeder box to keep him in until the morning, when he's going to the LFS to be traded in, then I will have to go to petsmart to get some more rasboras, as I bought the LFS out today.

I'm going to round out with another 3 rasboras, bringing it up to 8.

::sigh:: what a day for my fish...

COBettaCouple
yea, sounds like a rough day at the SAE Corral!

Kevin
lol...that's almost exactly what happened when I had to trade in my blue gourami...some fish can be really pesky at the worst times

neverendingninja
Well, I got 4 more rasboras yesterday, and already 3 have died. I drip acclimated them(1.5 hours), I'm showing no nitrate/ammonia, 5ppm nitrate, pH is stable(although really low...I guess I'm going to have to work on that)

Anyhow, its somewhat disappointing...the place I bought these from is over an hours drive away, and they only offer a half credit on dead fish

No one else seems to be having any difficulty. The cory cat that died did have a definite wound on his nose, which allowed him to get a bacterial infection.

I just introduced a farlowella cat, which are notoriously hard to take care of, at the same time as the rasbora, and he is doing excellent. He's active, not frantic. He's been eating well(peas and cucumbers), as have the rasboras, but they are just dropping randomly. They all look fine, and then I come back, and one more has died.

Oh well, we'll see how it goes. Maybe I'm not meant to have rasboras?

capekate
HI NEN
sorry to hear about your rasbora loss in your tank. It is so disappointing to find dead fish in the tank when there is no clear reason why it happened.
You mentioned that your PH is low. But this is a good thing, as most rasboras prefer the lower PH of anywhere from 6.0-7. The preferred temperature is from 72-78*. Your tank readings seem to be great, so I don't think that that had anything to do with the loss. I wonder about the 1.5 hours of acclimation period tho. Its very possible that there was ammonia buildup in the bag during that time. I was advised that when I brought in fish for a long acclimation to add a few drops of Prime to the bag, so that it will neutralize any toxic waste that is produced during the acclimation. You say that the trip took an hour, so if you added the hour drive, plus the 1.5 of acclimation to the tank, it would add up to a lot of time spent in the bag.
Other than that, I cannot offer any advise as to why you lost the fish, but am truly sorry for your loss.

~ kate

neverendingninja
Well, it was drip acclimation. I put them in a 1/2 gal betta container(I use it for acclimation and isolation only). Then, you use an airline with a syphon going to drip water into the tank. Once the water has doubled, you get rid of half of it, and allow it to double several more times, until your fish are slowly in nothing but your tank water.

However, it has turned out its an ich outbreak. I guess I should have quarantined. I've now lost 4 cory cats, 1 otocinclus and 5 rasboras. I cranked the temp up last night, and I'm going to do a 40% water change right now, then go get some meds. Its too far advanced to rely on just water temp now. I didn't catch it soon enough, I suppose.

Kevin
I used maracide, but I lost my smallest cory(1in.)
he was albino, so I don't know if he had ick really bad, or if the meds were to rough for him...but my leopard and spotted cory ended up fine...I never even saw spots on them

Similar Aquarium Threads

• donnabright2002
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
emeraldking
Top Bottom