Traded my oscars for

1. s

steve Valued Member Member

2 blood parrots and 6 silver dollars.
    been a week now since trade .doing excellent ,just did a 25% water change too

2. AquariaUK

AquariaUK Valued Member Member

Cool! Out of interest, are those real plants?

3. OP
    OP
    s

yes real plants ,should i not have real plants with blood parrots

4. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

Nice tank, I was thinking of getting one BP to go with the tetras...

5. OP
    OP
    s

my first blood parrot fish ,so far i likes them .seems like the parrot & silver dollars get along good .

6. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Silver dollars will eat your live plants.

But congratz on your new fish!

7. OP
    OP
    s

be like feeding them lettuce .i dont need to put lettuce in tank i guess like i do .i dont mind them eating them up as long as it dont hurt them .

8. psalm18.2

psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Curious, why the trade?

9. OP
    OP
    s

he wanted oscars and i wanted blood parrot fish .it is a friend that i traded with ,so i know the fish are healthy.

10. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

Chances are good that the Silver Dollars will completely devour your plants. One of our Moderators, Butterfly/Carol, has Wenlove Java Fern that isn't bothered by the Silver Dollars, but any plants I've tried with these fish were a total loss.

Congrats on the new fish! Just babies! :)

Are you seeing any aggression from the Jack Dempsey toward the new fish?

Best wishes! Keep us posted. Nice tank!

Ken

11. OP
    OP
    s

they seem to be getting along fine so far ,no problems .no chasing going on .i think tank is big enough for the fish i have in it .the jd keeps all to him self .no agression from jd

12. carolo43

carolo43 Valued Member Member

Oh, here I go with the blood parrots! I love this fish so much. I have had 8 of them since I started keeping fish and still have 5. Two lived over 8 years. Every single thing they say about these fish on the net is untrue. They swim just fine and eat just fine. I feed sinking pellets, tho, so they are not gulping from the surface.

I've also had Silver Dollars, too, and like them a lot, too. I do see some green in your tank that might get eaten, tho. They love their greens. They won't eat java fern or onion plants tho. I would give mine a huge lettuce leaf each day and they would attack it until it was history. Greens are a diet requirement for them. Nice selection you have there.

Not sure how the Dempsey will like the parrots but it will "probably" work.

13. OP
    OP
    s

i do have lettuce in tank they like .they hit the lettuce hard .put a piece in every other day .

14. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Mine devoured Java Ferns and nibbled the Onion Plant leaves when I tried. Lol

15. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

I also lost Java Ferns, straight narrow leaves, 10 of them and 12" tall to my Silver Dollars. As I mentioned above, Butterfly's Wendlov Java Fern seems to be doing well. I also feed my Silver Dollars a leaf of Romaine lettuce every day. They love it.

Ken

16. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I feed mine green peas also and they absolutely adore them. They will chase them around the tank and steal them from each other.

I have such a huge amount of Java ferns and other plants in the silver dollar tank that they would have to eat lots to tell they had eaten any. The one thing they have eaten was the leaves of my red tiger lily :( but it was ready for a rest anyway.
    carol

17. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

If you feed them some other greens it might cut down on their plant destruction. I recommend Spinach along with what the others have mentioned. I have never had a fish take lettuce over spinach, they seem to like the spinach more(also tends to be more nutritious. )

18. carolo43

carolo43 Valued Member Member

Oh Oh. Strange. Mine wouldn't touch those plants. Nasty tasting, I guess. Maybe yours were more starved for greens. Romane lettuce was a normal every morning thing for them so perhaps they left my java's and onions alone?