Traded for a 20g. 20 Gallon Tank

1. mosin360 Well Known Member Member

I traded a old laptop to my girlfriend's parents for a old 20g tank with stand that is currently half full of water but hasn't had any fish for awhile. It does have a filter, heater, hood, and light but not sure what works since they don't have anything hooked up. I won't actually get my hands on it until next weekend so I got some time to plan.

First thing I will do is clean and from what I read, I should use a new sponge that has no cleaning chemicals. I have leftover gravel from my 29g tank so that's what I'll be using for a substrate. I'm going to the LFS this weekend and I will pick up another bacteria sponge to help jump start that process.

In terms of stocking, I've been having my eye on cichlids for a 2nd tank as my 29g is more of a peaceful community tank. I know that you can fit some of the species in a 20g but I would like some suggestions. I'm also going to be doing research all of next week.

Sure hope this isn't the start of MTS. :;scuba

2. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

if you only have 6 danios and 1 honey sunset gourami in the 29, have you considered moving them into the 20 gallon to give yourself more room for the cichlids?

3. mosin360 Well Known Member Member

I'm adding more fishes to the 29 like some cory cats this weekend. :D

4. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

You should get 6 of them. They are awesome. :)
    I don't know anything about cichlids, sorry.

5. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

In a 20 gal you are fairly limited as to what cichlids yu can keep. Do you know if you want an African cichlid tank or an American cichlid tank? If you want an American set up then you could look into the dwarf cichlids like Bolivian rams, German Blue Rams & Appistos. If you want Africans then you would be limited to the dwarf shell dwellers from the rift lakes or some of the Kribensis species from African streams. Personally I would move the Gourami & Danios to the 20gal. You would still have room for a few Cories & the 29gal would open up some more cichlid options for you.

6. mosin360 Well Known Member Member

I understand I'm limiting myself due to the size of the tank but I'm fine with that. From the cichlid site, there are still quite a few species that would work. The 2nd LFS has quite a selection so I plan on going there with some names and see what I can find.

7. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

+2 great suggestions!

remember cichlids dont play nice ..especially with lack of space...shell dwellers look pretty awesome! and are fun to watch ...(friend of mine has a tank of them)

what cichlid site has "quite a few species" for a 20g tank?...other than the ones nutter listed, im trying to think of what else might work? congrats on the new tank tho! I can see MTS spreading fast!

8. mosin360 Well Known Member Member

9. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

How about moving the danios and gourami to the 20 and get pygmy cories instead of the larger species.
    Then you can have cichlids in the 30. :)

10. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

:) ya allot of what nutter suggested.....
    GREAT idea!!!!!! that so sounds much better for cichlids..

11. mosin360 Well Known Member Member

Sorry, I don't know the names and the other site used their science name so I didn't make the connection.

Let me first say that I appreciate all the suggestions but since the 29g is my first tank in a long time, I rather not mess with it if at all possible. You could say my confidence is fragile at this point. I'm getting the feeling that I should do what I originally planned for a cichlid tank and that is to wait till I move into my own house next fall which means I can get a much larger tank.

So saying thats, lets shelf the cichlid idea for now and think about other ideas. I would still like to get something that is aggressive or at least semi. It could be a single fish or a selection of fish that would tolerate each other. Also, it appears the 20g is of the high style.

12. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

dont be sorry ...its ok :)
    we all learn from eachother.....
    if its a tall tank, how about a pair of angels? or a pair of convicts?

13. mosin360 Well Known Member Member

I did have a couple angel fishes back when I was a kid. That be pretty neat and I seen some at the LFS. Would I want to add anything else with them?

14. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

can you get the measurements of the tank?
    LxWxD and then we can maybe suggest how to go with it?

15. mosin360 Well Known Member Member

I'm not exactly pin-point but it should work.

Length 24
    Width 12
    Height 16.5ish

16. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Mosin.:animal0068: I have moved your thread to the Aquarium Stocking Suggestions section of the forum to help you to get more responses.
    Thanks!
    Ken

17. mosin360 Well Known Member Member

Since I'm finally getting that new tank next weekend, I thought I'd kick this new idea around. I did ordered a AC50 for it.

Right now the plan is a couple Angel Fish but I was wondering if there was something that would do fine by itself and would use the most of the space. I guess what I'm looking for is a fish that can be fine by itself and is large enough to use most/all of the tank. I was thinking like a Gourami but I hear some can get to 6". Would that be too big for a 20g tall?