• Automated tracking, because I'm from the future

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters

Lacey D

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I was wondering how people track their aquariums--parameters, inhabitants, equipment, etc. I was keeping information in a OneNote journal, and a GoogleDocs spreadsheet. Then I found an app which seems to be working well (Aquarimate), and very nicely has reminders for things I need to do so I don't wonder when I need to squeeze out my sponge filters. Just curious -- how do you do it?

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I don’t track, but I think I really should.
It’s harder for me, I have seven tanks (6 are fish tanks) and I’d run out of testers so quickly.

King o´ Angelfish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I track on Evernote. Works just fine, has been for over 2 yrs now.

I used to have 5 tanks. I didnt like it. It was too much work and I felt like I wasn't dedicating enough time and effort into each tank. I now have 3. Soon 2. So much easier to keep less tanks. You can make each look splendid that way.

How I track my tank:
-Ammonia/nitrite/nitrate/pH readings each month
-Water change-date and percentage
-Any fish casualties? Date and and parameters the day of death
-Plant melt? Date and parameters

Then I have things I check off each day like:
8hrs light?
78ºF?
Equipment Working?
All fish alive?
Fish fed?

Then each month I make a summary of how the tank has progressed. Plant growth? Propogation? Algae gone? Algae at bay?
Knowing HOW or IF the tank has progressed motivates me wither to keep it up or make progression happen.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I keep track of water changes, parameters, and any behaviors out of the ordinary. I also keep track of when I feed veggies, just to make sure I'm feeding enough. I'll also track when I trI'm anacharis, and anything else that would involve my hands going into the tank.

Kwade

Reaction score
Since I started testing with the API Master Kit, I figured I might as well log the results. I use a lined notebook, and record the daily tests (my parameters are so consistant I sometimes get lazy and test every other day, or three..). I also make note of water changes, whenever I add anything to the tanks (Flourish, and Excel, mostly..), new plants/fish, and any odd behaviors or tank conditions. I've been looking into some apps, but nothing has really impressed me so far. That, and I've been using the notebook for so long now it's really easy to reference and look for any patterns/trends in tank conditions.

Dch48

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Lacey D said:
I was wondering how people track their aquariums--parameters, inhabitants, equipment, etc. I was keeping information in a OneNote journal, and a GoogleDocs spreadsheet. Then I found an app which seems to be working well (Aquarimate), and very nicely has reminders for things I need to do so I don't wonder when I need to squeeze out my sponge filters. Just curious -- how do you do it?
I don't

goldface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Man, I don’t have time for that! Keep it simple.

finnipper59

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Kwade said:
Since I started testing with the API Master Kit, I figured I might as well log the results. I use a lined notebook, and record the daily tests (my parameters are so consistant I sometimes get lazy and test every other day, or three..). I also make note of water changes, whenever I add anything to the tanks (Flourish, and Excel, mostly..), new plants/fish, and any odd behaviors or tank conditions. I've been looking into some apps, but nothing has really impressed me so far. That, and I've been using the notebook for so long now it's really easy to reference and look for any patterns/trends in tank conditions.
I use a lined notebook as well. I not only record perameters, but also filter cleaning, and anything I add to the tank, such as a cuttlefish bone I added yesterday for hardness. If something changes in the tank, I can remember what I did on what day that may have caused the change.

Small Tanks

Reaction score
Wow you guys are organized!

I do a head count every morning but the only thing I actually 'track' are fish in and fish out (or deaths). And any illnesses. I just use google docs

CanadianFishFan

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I used to do pen and paper and then I kinda got lazy......... oops....
But when others are takeing care of my fish you know there's a 2 paper spreed sheet on information and my phone number, texting number and other contacts.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Actually, tracking additives and such was how I figured out that my goldfish doesn't like the full dose of stress coat. Took a bit to figure out since I generally added more than one thing while she was sick.

finnipper59

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Rtessy said:
Actually, tracking additives and such was how I figured out that my goldfish doesn't like the full dose of stress coat. Took a bit to figure out since I generally added more than one thing while she was sick.
Good. That's why I keep a log too. Right now I'm cycling another tank for a breeding pair that are in my community tank. The pH difference was 6.8 in the community tank and 7.4 in the newly cycled tank. I haven't tested the perameters today because I'm in the middle of a 30% water change for both of them now.

GettinTanked

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I use one of those monthly desk calendars. Pretty sure my plants and fish would be dead without it.
Going to check out this app though- reminders sound great!

New Threads