Toys For Bettas

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by LauraR, Apr 15, 2017.

1. LauraR

LauraR New Member Member

hello,
    I'm new to the whole forum thing so I apologise in advance! I have recently just got a betta who is stunning. I have got him floating logs, the leaf hammock, sinking log, stick on plants, etc. However, he does not seem too interested in anything I have placed in the tank. I have read that bettas can be bored which can affect their health. Any advise?

2. SuperK

SuperK Well Known Member Member

Bettas are fussy little fish I'll tell you that. But honestly a betta will show when he's bored but he'll also only play with what he's interested in. You have to try a lot of things I guess. Mine currently won't eat most things because he's a very picky eater, although I think I've found something that works.

Try different things he can rest on, different locations perhaps. Mine likes to play with my pipette for some reason. I stick it in the water and he likes to follow it around and attack it sometimes haha. He also eats out of it. I can't check water sometimes because I'm too busy messing around with him with the pipette.

Honestly you just have to find what works for them.

3. _IceFyre_

_IceFyre_ Well Known Member Member

Most bettas love live plants! They will sleep on them and hide in them and they even help with water quality. Get a lot and build a mini jungle for him!:)

4. SuperK

^Agree. Another thing you could try is a ping pong ball. I've heard they like to try and hunt them.

5. OP
    OP
    LauraR

LauraR New Member Member

Thank you both so much. Will try different things and see how he does. I've already tried a ping pong ball but he wasn't interested in it. I've heard of the fish training obstacle courses you can do, hoops, rings, etc however, I can't find anything like that in the U.K. Any suggestions?

6. W

WhiteCloudMinnows Valued Member Member

7. OP
    OP
    LauraR

LauraR New Member Member

8. W

WhiteCloudMinnows Valued Member Member

That's a bummer :(

9. SuperK

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2017
  10. Nanologist

Nanologist Well Known Member Member

Not sure how long you've had him or the toys but sometimes it just takes time for them to adjust and explore their environment before enjoying the toys. I'm also a new betta owner (you just posted on my recent post ;)) and it took a good month before he started laying/playing on the leaves and driftwood. Part of the reason being the current from my filter was too strong.

11. OP
    OP
    LauraR

LauraR New Member Member

Sorry for the late reply! Thank you so much for this, will definitely have a look and will keep you updated.

12. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylah Well Known Member Member

It's not a toy but my betta loves to hide under the frogbit that I have in the tank.

13. bettaa9

bettaa9 Valued Member Member

I know it was mentioned before but my Betta loves his live plants! He also swims through the bridges/archways and explores everywhere in the tank.

Also rearranging things every once in a while can help with boredom and it will also feel like a new tank to explore

14. OP
    OP
    LauraR

LauraR New Member Member

[​IMG]

This is his tank at the moment. Like mentioned, I change the ornaments around completely and take new ones in and out to hopefully keep his boredom to a minimum. I have a lot of fake plants which are super soft, almost like silk, but he doesn't seem too interested in swimming near them. He just likes to spend his time at the top, waiting for food!

15. Naiomi

Naiomi New Member Member

Hello, I just became betta mama about 2 months. I would say it took my boy almost a week with stable 80 f temperature to start moving around and explore everything. The hammock can be a little higher about 3/4 inch under water surface. Took my boy about a week to sleep in there. (And its very cute) I am not expert but I think with right temperature/water condition and a little more time for him to adjust to the new home, your beautiful betta will starts to get be more active and interest things around him. :)

16. Nanologist

Nanologist Well Known Member Member

Agreed. I would put the hammock much closer to the surface. Basically, you want it so that when he's laying on it his head can touch the surface. My boy "sleeps" on a leaf that allows his mouth to be above the surface, so he can rest and breathe without moving an inch.

17. OP
    OP
    LauraR

LauraR New Member Member

Ah ok! Makes a lot of sense, I'll certainly move it up during his next water change. Will keep you al updated. Thank you to everyone who's been very helpful so far! I'm enjoying the forum a lot

18. Naiomi

Naiomi New Member Member

Agree agree! Also, I think you can try betta leaf and Marimo ball, I find Blues likes them since I am still a little afraid to put real plants in. The leaf float first then will sink in few days and can be replace every water change. And I heard marimo ball is great forever :D attached picture is what they looks like. :) [​IMG][​IMG]

19. OP
    OP
    LauraR

LauraR New Member Member

I've tried the moss balls but my guy wasn't really interested in them! He just 'sniffed' at them and then went back up to the surface.

20. SuperK

Sorry if this is a bit off topic but I have that exact same statue in my tank haha

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice