toys for a very bored male betta?

1. C

Carissa Rodriguez New Member Member

My Betta is very grumpy and bored. I was wondering if there are any toys for him to play with?
    Maybe some floating beads. Or something with movement?

My last Betta was super fun and he even let you pet him!

But this one always flares at me. and bites me :(
    So what kinda toys are there? Can I make toys? Whats safe to be in his tank?

2. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

You can add some live plants. Bettas love plants. Or some rocks or driftwood that they can swim thru.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. hollie1505

hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

You can buy floating mirror balls and floating footballs. I have also seen a fish training kit (I know, it sounds bizarre!) http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/fish-training-kit-(online-only) I know it's probably not suitable but it may give you some ideas :)

My goldfish love to push bioballs around their tank. One fell in one day and I've never taken it out because they're always playing with it!

You can also rearrange his tank regularly. I move plants around, change caves and add bits in to stimulate my little 'uns.xx

4. Viriam Karo

Viriam Karo Well Known Member Member

These are all good suggestions but I wouldn't necessarily take flaring and biting as "grumpy" behavior. He could just be an extra aggressive betta. Why do you think he's bored? What size tank is he in?

My betta is super docile and still bites me when I'm feeding him and taking too long--first he lets go some bubbles, and then he'll jump and nip at my finger if it's close to the surface.

Bettas do really like squeezing through and weaving in and out of things, so if you can put in a bunch of tall plants, he'll like wiggling around. Be careful if you do it with hardscape, because bettas will get themselves stuck weaving in and out and squeezing into places.

5. atb224155

atb224155 Valued Member Member

That sports kit may be too much of a ball for a single betta. For a sorority or a bachelor pack, that would fun. I wouldn't do beads as they could be food to a fish, try the betta exercise mirror for 5 minutes every other day. I would also add a drift log and places where your betta can squeeze through.

6. lala29

lala29 Well Known Member Member

A pingpong ball :) it floats... Comes in loads of colours and it wont be eaten :)

My goldfish loves hers!