Toxic Silicone?

Caleb Smith

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So Im in the middle of constructing a corner matten filter for my 20 long axolotl tank. I have heard from dozens of sources that GE1 Windows and Doors Silicone was safe and so I used that to secure the corner guards in place. However, I found a source that says GE has recently added antifungal chemicals to their GE1 without changing the labeling. I also know that GE says their product isnt aquarium safe but I just assumed that is for liability purposes. I really dont want to have to scrape all this off and redo this filter but I will if there is even a chance it could harm Salem. Can someone please confirm whether or not GE1 is truly safe for Axolotls???

Baba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
What you want to look for is if the label says it's compliant for food contact per FDA 21 CFR177.2600 If it has this statement I would go ahead with it.
upload_2018-4-17_17-0-54.png

Caleb Smith

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Baba said:
What you want to look for is if the label says it's compliant for food contact per FDA 21 CFR177.2600 If it has this statement I would go ahead with it.
upload_2018-4-17_17-0-54.png
I checked and It is compliant per that Statute. What scares me is that the limitations under FDA 21 CFR177.2600 only limit the release of toxins for up to 9 hours. “Rubber articles intended for repeated use in contact with fatty foods shall meet the following specifications: The food-contact surface of the rubber article in the finished form in which it is to contact food, when extracted with n -hexane at reflux temperature, shall yield total extractives not to exceed 175 milligrams per square inch during the first 7 hours of extraction, nor to exceed 4 milligrams per square inch during the succeeding 2 hours of extraction.”

Baba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hmm, then you need to have faith or dump it and get another silicone. Up to you.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom