Toxic Silicone?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Caleb Smith, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Caleb Smith

Caleb Smith Valued Member Member

So Im in the middle of constructing a corner matten filter for my 20 long axolotl tank. I have heard from dozens of sources that GE1 Windows and Doors Silicone was safe and so I used that to secure the corner guards in place. However, I found a source that says GE has recently added antifungal chemicals to their GE1 without changing the labeling. I also know that GE says their product isnt aquarium safe but I just assumed that is for liability purposes. I really dont want to have to scrape all this off and redo this filter but I will if there is even a chance it could harm Salem. Can someone please confirm whether or not GE1 is truly safe for Axolotls???

2. Baba

Baba Well Known Member Member

What you want to look for is if the label says it's compliant for food contact per FDA 21 CFR177.2600 If it has this statement I would go ahead with it.
    upload_2018-4-17_17-0-54.png

3. OP
    OP
    Caleb Smith

Caleb Smith Valued Member Member

I checked and It is compliant per that Statute. What scares me is that the limitations under FDA 21 CFR177.2600 only limit the release of toxins for up to 9 hours. “Rubber articles intended for repeated use in contact with fatty foods shall meet the following specifications: The food-contact surface of the rubber article in the finished form in which it is to contact food, when extracted with n -hexane at reflux temperature, shall yield total extractives not to exceed 175 milligrams per square inch during the first 7 hours of extraction, nor to exceed 4 milligrams per square inch during the succeeding 2 hours of extraction.”

4. Baba

Baba Well Known Member Member

Hmm, then you need to have faith or dump it and get another silicone. Up to you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice