Toxic Coral

Discussion in 'More Saltwater Aquarium Topics' started by richie.p, Aug 10, 2019.

1. richie.p

richie.pFishlore VIPMember

This as happened to a family in the UK. very rare occurrence but it's there and needs to be known by all marine keepers

Attached Files:

2. MrBryan723

MrBryan723Well Known MemberMember

3. OP
    OP
    richie.p

richie.pFishlore VIPMember

Are you made aware of this when buying them

4. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

There was someone else on the site that posted this a couple days ago and as far as they said they don't warn about the dangerous/deadly toxins those corals release when disturbed.

5. MrBryan723

I really think it depends on the lfs. We have 3 Lfs in my city and at least 1 of them warns you, but I'm unaware about the other 2. I really agree they should tho.

6. Tony_097

Tony_097Valued MemberMember

It ir more common in palythoa genus which i forgot what was called. Some zoas and palys don't have as much but not much info is known about all of the certain types. I however know that the uglier brown looking plays are the most likely to be toxic. It is honestly no reason for me to never put a zoa or paly in my tanks. For new reefers i say dont be scared of palytoxins but keep a healthy respect for it never boil rocks or frag them without gloves.

7. MrBryan723

And masks

8. Tony_097

Tony_097Valued MemberMember

That do also and do it any fragging outside if possible.