Tougher fish that will compliment my Neons

1. Emze17 Member Member

Hi all :)

My 26 gallon is currently home to 8 Neon tetras, 6 Panda Corydoras and a BN plec. I've lost a few of the tetras over the last 4 months, I knew from the start that neons are fragile but still. I started with 11, lost 4. Took in 3 more from a friend, 2 of those have since died so back down to 8.

I don't want to keep adding more neons if this is how it's going to go with them. So... IF you think i've the space for a small school, what other fish would go nicely with them please? Preferably ones that are a bit tougher... and ideally aren't live bearers.

2. maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

Black neons or Diamond tetras.

3. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You have lots of options. I like lemon tetras. What color fish would you like?

4. Emze17 Member Member

I think that's the problem - i have too much choice lol. I like bright colours, but just something that will look nice mixed in with the neons, won't grow too big (don't want to become overstocked) and that may live a bit longer than the tetras seem to be.

My LFS don't have much in the way of schooling fish hence me asking here. If i've a plan in mind then I can ring around and go further afield for them

5. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I'd go with a color that will complement the red and blue of the neons.

What about flame tetra?

6. Emze17 Member Member

I like the lemon tetra also and the colours would stand out in the tank.

The flame look lovely but I find red doesn't stand out very well at all in my tank. I only discovered this when I had my all red Betta in there and could never see him! But the flames would look good with the neons... see too many decisions

7. Five 97 Well Known Member Member

What about Danios? Imo their just about the toughest fish out there, that are so easily accessible, there's quite a variety of colors/ breeds too.

8. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

I have ember tetras with my neons and like the combo. Tough hardy little fish and you could do a good size school. They are a nice shade of orange both the males and the females. The only difference between the male and female is the size. She gets 7/8 of an inch and he is 1/2 of an inch. Alison:;hi1

9. Five 97 Well Known Member Member

Ember tetras would be a good option, as well as glowlight tetras, and I know you mentioned you didn't want livebearers, but what about all male endlers?

10. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Either celestial pearl danios (Danio margaritatus) or pearl danios (Danio albolineatus) imo would look good next to neons.