Totally Remodeling My 75 Gallon

MoshJosh

Well Known
Reaction score
my only large tank (I know large is a relative term) wasn’t turning out how I would like, so I decided to do a total remodel. I redid the scape and will also be changing the stocking soon as well.

It’s not done yet, I will be putting some of the old plants back in, and will hopefully be getting some new plants as well.

Also, I will need to be making some hiding places out of extra rock I have laying around but I haven’t quite decided how I’m going to do that yet.

5003E31C-59CE-4AE6-9367-B1253308A040.jpeg

B85C3C76-763D-4E78-916D-0958DFB8E260.jpeg

C95E449A-9BB8-4B86-A893-A665685AC9EE.jpeg

F5136C3F-EEA3-43F8-96DC-589AC560246B.jpeg

0C26691C-2304-4178-87E3-F3F9A18CA636.jpeg
6EB4D827-A3F9-494C-A2B9-399D689CEF74.jpeg

CF7DCDCF-BABF-4AE5-B78C-27B339D9CA3B.jpeg

OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

Well Known
Reaction score
Made some progress with the rocks and plants. . . Though after uprooting them and taking them out of the tank, it appears many of them aren’t doing so well. I removed as much dead foliage as I could before replanting and will probably get some more additives, I just started using fluval flourish but want to get a few more products. Also I think I need more/better light. Using the Marineland led that came with my tank but as you can see in the photos it’s not very bright (being a little murky from the remodel isn’t helping). Might just buy another one of these lights and try doubling down???

I included a photo with my other tank in frame for reference, and the nano light is at around 60% brightness.
53AAF26D-9E2B-40CA-9699-D3C2A1B3A9CB.jpeg
195A5C64-E452-490C-B214-9CC04F66C467.jpeg
AB553561-96B8-4C7F-B476-8D20D1507A8F.jpeg

JHood

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
In the comparison photo, I thought you had the light off until I went back and read it again. I would agree a new light is needed.

OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

Well Known
Reaction score
Think the past remodel was a step in the right direction, but feel like I went to small in the plant department, so. . . changed it up again. Figured while I was messing things up trying to catch my dwarf gouramI and roseline sharks (never ended up catching the sharks as the were to fast. . . Hopefully they aren’t the ones eating my plants) I would do a little rescape Wanted to change to a white/sand substrate but couldn’t justify the cost.

Will be adding more plants come payday. Thinking red crypts, and some red swords???
B12B59BD-52F7-4C6C-A088-24457C8387FE.jpeg
C62DF377-9C3F-4688-AF00-79FEAB5470FD.jpeg

JHood

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would do one or the other as a color difference. I like swords because they can fill in large bare areas quickly if you get big ones. Or you have to be patient and let them grow. I like it so far!

OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

Well Known
Reaction score
So I tore down my nano tanks and had tons of plants with nowhere to go... then I got carried away trying to net out a fish for a med/salt bath (might have ick and quarantine tank is occupied!?!?) and tore up my 75. . . This is how it turned out!!!

4CD2DD02-ED69-4296-8D03-79D642AAC2F8.jpeg

Will do a proper build thread once stocking is finalized. . . The rainbows and roseline will be out soon

Blondeath

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Did you get a new light? What lights are/were on your nanos?

OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

Well Known
Reaction score
Oh Yeeeeeah, I forgot I got a new light. It’s some older Fluval LED with adjustable brightness. It’s Brighter than both the previous lights (Marineland LEDs) combined. A fellow aquarist in town gave me a great deal on her old 55 gallon setup, light included!!!

The lights on my nano tanks were fluval nanos, they are awesome!!!

Blondeath

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
MoshJosh said:
Oh Yeeeeeah, I forgot I got a new light. It’s some older Fluval LED with adjustable brightness. It’s Brighter than both the previous lights (Marineland LEDs) combined. A fellow aquarist in town gave me a great deal on her old 55 gallon setup, light included!!!

The lights on my nano tanks were fluval nanos, they are awesome!!!
The new light looks much better than the old one!

lisa99

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Newbie question. Where do you get the white “screen” that you have on the top of the tank?

toeknee

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Really like the final layout! Have you ever considered painting the back of the tank black? That would really make every "pop"

OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

Well Known
Reaction score
Yeah was wanting to do something with the background, but really don’t want to drain/move the tank (and the tanks hidden in the stand. Was thinking I could sneak some construction paper or poster board behind it though.

OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

Well Known
Reaction score
lisa99 said:
Newbie question. Where do you get the white “screen” that you have on the top of the tank?
If you mean the white plastic stuff I attached to the wood and buried in the gravel that’s egg crate light diffuser I got at Lowe’s. Think it’s normally used to diffuse fluorescent lights in office buildings.

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Tank turned out great with the dark substrate, plants and wood scape.

where did you get the driftwood, and what kind is it? is it from a LFS or from a company like ZooMed or Blue Ribbon?

I ask because I in the planning stage of setting up and scape'ing a 65g my friend gave me, along with his SA cichlids. They are currently being kept in a large trough on my covered back deck at the moment, while I get around to building a new stand.

I am very interested in putting driftwood or mopanI in the tank, but I have never placed wood in a tank before. I found a selection of driftwood, spiderwood and mopanI from Fluval, Zoo Med and Blue Ribbon available at the Ken's Fish website that I will probably get.

Thanks

toeknee

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Adding the black background really cleans everything up and makes everything stand out. Looks great!

OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

Well Known
Reaction score
Islandvic said:
Tank turned out great with the dark substrate, plants and wood scape.

where did you get the driftwood, and what kind is it? is it from a LFS or from a company like ZooMed or Blue Ribbon?

I ask because I in the planning stage of setting up and scape'ing a 65g my friend gave me, along with his SA cichlids. They are currently being kept in a large trough on my covered back deck at the moment, while I get around to building a new stand.

I am very interested in putting driftwood or mopanI in the tank, but I have never placed wood in a tank before. I found a selection of driftwood, spiderwood and mopanI from Fluval, Zoo Med and Blue Ribbon available at the Ken's Fish website that I will probably get.

Thanks
Thanks!!!

I got my wood from my LFS, but it’s “reptile” wood normal used in like a terrarium for reptiles to climb on. It was very buoyant initially so I secured it to the bottom of the tank (as seen above). It has been submerged long enough that it sinks now. . . But is very light and the slightest bump moves it with ease. In the future I will likely use morpani/Malaysian drift wood, both for look and weight (the morpanI I used it the past stayed put better haha. I would also probably go for just one large piece just to make my life easier haha

Next time I rescape I’d like to use more fern/anubias. I’d drill holes in my driftwood and pressure fit them instead of zipties like I did previously.

saltwater60

Well Known
Reaction score
Looks way nicer than before. I’d add a rock or a long to that left side so it’s bit more balanced. Great job.

OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

Well Known
Reaction score
Looks better in photos haha plants getting yellow and brown hair algae (is that a thing?) starting to grow on everything maybe need to up ferts, and decrease feedings.

25946B52-FC26-4881-B0BC-BD6724732888.jpeg

New Threads