Help Totally lost with this cycle

Mike1995

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I posted about it before but I'm still lost with it. I have a 10g that won't cycle. Its been more than a month and it hasn't even gotten past the ammonia phase. I test often. And most recently today it is at 3ppm. Its been stuck between 3 and 6 ppm for over a month now. The nitrites increased a little to 2-3ppm. But its been stuck. It won't progress.
I Do dose easy carbon. I have an algea outbreak I'm getting under control. its started to die back. could this be increasing the ammonia?

Beapea

Reaction score
I've had times where I am cycling a tank and it just sometimes doesn't go right. I had a 40 gallon that wasn't cycling for over 2 months past the ammonia/no2 stage so I emptied it, filled it with tap water to kill the cycle (I think that bad bacteria had outcompeted the helpful stuff), conditioned it, and put a filter from another old aquarium in a tiny 10 gal filter from Amazon for extra circulation...it cycled in less than 2 weeks...sometimes it just doesn't work out and I know it isn't talked about a lot but, as long as fish aren't already in the tank, sometimes its just easier to try again and ask someone for some filter media or go buy some beneficial bacteria from a trusted company that other hobbyists mention on here, pretty sure its seachem.

OP
Mike1995

Mike1995

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Blueberrybetta said:
What's your pH and nitrate reading?
Ph is 7.0
Nitrates are 5ppm

mattgirl said:
Have you done any water changes? Check out the post I made about stalled cycles and how to fix them.
Yep. Just did one today. 75%.

Beapea said:
I've had times where I am cycling a tank and it just sometimes doesn't go right. I had a 40 gallon that wasn't cycling for over 2 months past the ammonia/no2 stage so I emptied it, filled it with tap water to kill the cycle (I think that bad bacteria had outcompeted the helpful stuff), conditioned it, and put a filter from another old aquarium in a tiny 10 gal filter from Amazon for extra circulation...it cycled in less than 2 weeks...sometimes it just doesn't work out and I know it isn't talked about a lot but, as long as fish aren't already in the tank, sometimes its just easier to try again and ask someone for some filter media or go buy some beneficial bacteria from a trusted company that other hobbyists mention on here, pretty sure its seachem.
Ok I'll have to try this :)

OP
Mike1995

Mike1995

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Flyfisha said:
Can you please test your tap water for nitrates?
As you have 5 ppm nitrates in the tank .

could you also test tap water for ammonia?

I tested and it was 0-5 ppm nitrates out of the tap.
Ammonia was about 3ppm out of the tap

I just don't understand why I'm having such a hard time cycling this tank. My other 3 tanks cycled fine.

New Threads