Totally baffled

jinnix

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
20gl, all water parameters perfect, temp 75F

We have a long finned leopard danio with his mouth stuck open. He's been like this for two weeks now, and it's not getting worse, he's swimming completely normal, and he's eating just fine. None of my other danios have been affected. We had an outbreak of columnaris about a month ago, but we removed the infected fish and treated the tank. None of our danios seemed affected by this. But now this one has his mouth open, and a little bit of the top lip looks like it's missing. But again, it hasn't changed at all in two weeks. He's still eating and swimming like normal (he does have a little problem keeping food in his mouth, but he just goes after it again) and it's hasn't spread to any of the other fish. Our LFS said he might have lockjaw because we noticed our danios were scarfing down our cherry shrimp, but I'm concerned that it's something worse because some of the lip looks like it's gone. I'm not particularly worried about him because he looks like he's doing fine, but I am nervous about adding new fish to the tank in case it spreads. Any suggestions? Thanks

Sarcasm Included

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That is still columnaris, just dose his food with kanamycin and it will clear up the infection. It will take some time for the mouth to grow back.

jinnix

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sarcasm Included said:
That is still columnaris, just dose his food with kanamycin and it will clear up the infection. It will take some time for the mouth to grow back.
We treated with tri-sulfa last week and it hasn't gotten any worse or hasn't spread to other fish. How do I know when he's cured?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom