Total Noob Question - Will schooling fish of different types school together?

jered

Reaction score
Let me start out with this note of caution, I had a gold fish from the fair about 20 yrs ago and it died within a week. That is the not-so-grand total of my fish rearing experience.
My parents gave me an 8 gallon biorb tank as a christmas present to decorate my new office and I really want to take this on. I have purchased a 50watt heater to go with it. I like the look of the cherry barbs that I see on this site and would like to start there. This site says barbs need company, can I put multiple types of barbs together to make the school? I would like to have a single highlight fish as well and I have read about the cories but my tank says no bottom feeders. What would be my best option as a single fish to put in with the cherry barbs? Can I put a barb of a contrasting color in with the school of cherrys and expect it to be happy?

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Barbs are fairly peaceful fish in most cases but seem to be aggressive to smaller fish at times and nippers at other times. There are species that are better to keep than others. Tiger Barbs have a tendency to be more peaceable when young but become more aggressive as they get older. I do not know and can find no information on any of the species of Barbs schooling together. I am doubting it from reading of the temperment differences involved. Living in a bio-orb is a different thing than living in a tank as it gives less opportunity for hiding places and protection if there is a bully in the area. It is really much more wise to try to concentrate on peaceful fish that need less protection.

Rose

jered

Reaction score
Re: Total Noob Question - Will schooling fish of different types school together

Thank you very much Rose. Should I try to add some sort of cover to the back? I am beginning to understand that happy fish live longer, healthier lives and I would like to make this project as successful as possible.

Tazmiche

Well Known Member
Reaction score
i have cherry barbs, LOVE them, have white cloud minnows with them and 3 male guppies. They all swim together until spooked by something then each seem to bunch up with their own breed. They are a joy to watch!

shollia

Valued Member
Reaction score
I was wondering this ame question yesterday heh.
When we were at the petstore trying to decide which danio we wanted, bf wanted to get 2 of each.. zebra and yellow, but I figured they probably wouldn't school together since they were 2 different types.. *shrugs*

Tazmiche

Well Known Member
Reaction score
i have always been told an absolute minimum of 5 of each, ideally more than 6, i believe this as one of my minnows died and now the others hide more! I'm waiting for some stock to mature in lfs to get 2 more. However as i said they do swim with my CB's and are lively!

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Shoaling fish must be kept in groups of 6 of their species. Most different species will not shoal together and you were right in thinking that "2 of each" would not be sufficient to make up a shoal. Because your tank is pretty small you are limited more by space than by compatibility. I think it would be a stretch to even try to have a shoal of just Cherry Barbs in an 8 gal. If you would like shoaling fish you would have to go with the very smallest ones you can find, such as Neons, but even them I hesitate to recommend because all shoaling fish are very active and might feel cramped in a tank of your size. You might try a couple Guppies or Platys, or else a Betta would be a perfect choice.
How come you can't keep bottom feeders in your tank?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom