Total noob move

1. Brizburk Member Member

Since I've found this forum (couple weeks ago) I've learned TONS. I broke down and bought a test kit. I freaked. I had ammonia .25 and nitrites at 0 and nitrates at 10 and ph at 7.6 (out of the tap ugh). I thought I'd been killing off all my bb and causing harm to my tank. 25% water change as usual, and put some ceramic rings in the filter. Well today I tested the water again (after two days away at work). My tank is only 10 gallons

Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 20
    Copper 0
    Ph is still 7.6 - not sure if it's harmful to the inverts and fishes or not

So my noob move - wait for it. ..... Yea I had added 4 new fishes a month ago. I only had three little fish in the tank before the 4 new ones - guess that can cause a spike in ammonia until the tank catches up to its new overload...

What a learning experience!

Now to lower the ph and kill off the algae ... That ugly brown algae. Ideas anyone??

2. Themaniac19 Member Member

Just leave the pH as it is. Most freshwater fish can handle different pHs fine so long as it doesn't swing around wildly. To get rid of algae just scrub it off or get a school of otos so long as your bioload's fine.

3. RubyGem Member Member

Yep some ottos mystery snails, what ever you do don't get a Pleco, they need 120 gallons + when they get full grown. As mentioned if the algae is not effecting the bio load it's not a huge danger to your fish.

4. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

How big is the tank, and what fish are they?

Brown 'algae' is common in tanks with low lighting and excess phosphates and silicates. It's not harmful, just unsightly. Depending on the size of the tank there are some smaller plecs that will eat it... they don't all grow big.

The pH is ok. Do you know the hardness?

5. littleredridingmech Member Member

Nerite snails are also awesome if you're tank is small/your stocked and don't have room for another fish. They have neat shell patterns and their eggs can't hatch in freshwater so if you get multiples you won't have an infestation.

6. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Hi :)

7.6 is the very last color value on the regular pH chart. Have you also tested the high range pH?

Also, is your profile accurate? How long do you have the lights on?

7. Brizburk Member Member

I have a 10 gallon tank with 6 tetra and one betta, nerite snail that doesn't like the plants and a ghost shrimp.

Yes, I tested the fight ph. It didn't seem to really register.

8. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I would not add any more fish to your tank to take care of any algae especially as the way it's stocked now.

Diatoms will go away on its own. You can just wipe them off and also decrease the hours of light.

And your pH is fine. I wouldn't try to change it.

9. Brizburk Member Member

I agree - I'm pushing the limits .... Are shrimp ok to add? And more plants are always ok right?

10. Toxickissez20 Member Member

I have 4 Japanese algea eaters aka amano shrimp In my tank I have had them since I started they are great at cleaning. I barely have any algea. If you get them though I would recommend getting buying them a piece of the.drift would from out of their tanks so they have a nice place to hangout 1465016750918.jpg 1465016759975.jpg

11. BriLandy Well Known Member Member

Adding plants is always a good idea. They compete with nutrients and will help combat algae growth. Adding shrimp should be ok since they have a low bioload. However, your betta may find them to be a tasty snack, so proceed with caution. What kind of filter do you have?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

12. Brizburk Member Member

I actually have quite a few plants, drift wood too. Betta doesn't bother the ghostie that I have, she'll notice the shrimp but ignores him.

13. Toxickissez20 Member Member

None of my fish bother my Amano's I like them for the simple fact that they are about the size of most of my fish. They have grown relatively quick in my case lol

14. Brizburk Member Member

I'm always jealous of other people's planted tanks - their plants are so green and algae free - I want that.

15. BriLandy Well Known Member Member

It takes time to get the balance needed to have a nice looking planted tank. I have a perfect balance in one of my planted tanks and the other one is a work in progress.
    Amano shrimp are a great choice. They're beefy little dudes that can hold their own and they are pretty effective cleaners.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app