Total Disappointment

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok. I’ve listened to a bunch of stuff and haven’t found anyone venting on this. May be something. If so, I’m sorry. I couldn’t find it.
Here it is: I’m beyond tired of spending money that’s extremely hard to come by on equipment that tears up/falls apart after just a few uses. Doesn’t seem to matter what it is. Tonight it was my gravel vac. The one I use for my pond seems to be well made but it’s too rigid to use in the house. I’ve purchased four different ones so far for the aquariums.
The versa tops are a good idea. They fall way short on quality though. And the one for my 29 doesn’t fit right.
Finding good quality anything is getting just so hard! Even the “best” of something is still a crapshoot. Will this heater work for awhile or blow up?
I’m fed up. I want to buy something that will last a while. I’d rather buy something old. Really old.
Ok. Done venting for now. Sorry if I offended anyone. Not my intention.

Discus-Tang

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've been SO lucky when it comes to equipment. I use aqua one heaters, none of them have broken. None of my filters have broken and one of them has almost run about 12 months of time switched on. Nets, fine, vac, fine. I feel your pain though. I'm usually short on money (living in Sydney-eek!) and I'm super careful when buying stuff.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Surprisingly, I haven't found too much to complain about. The only things that really stuck out were the PetsMart and Petco branded tanks, like Marina and Topfin, but those were just cheap filters and lights. The tanks themselves are solid.

Now with some of my other hobbies, there is much to be desired.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
OneLittleBubble said:
Yesterday I was at my pet store looking around and I saw that python made a gravel vac for ponds. Maybe give it a try?
My pond vac is fine. I ordered another one for the aquarium. Thank you for the thought.

I’m glad y’all have had better luck than me. I just get so frustrated with cheap junk. We used to care about quality.

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That stinks Gypsy, and I too get frustrated with cheap junk, though more so with stuff for the kids rather than aquarium equipment.

I've only been MTS deep into the hobby for a little over a year, but I learned to hate Aqueon vacs and have gained a little respect for their Python replacements. I've also had good luck with heaters so far. I use Jagers but they are all paired with a temp controller like an Inkbird. I don't know if it'll extend the life of the heaters, but they'll never cook my stock.

I love Aquaclear HOB's. Simple yet effective design and easy to modify to suit my needs. I've had a pump on one of them break though, and that is where my bad luck has lied... pumps. I had a powerhead just stop working only 3 months after the setup of the pricey little reef tank.

My biggest frustration with the hobby? I am surrounded by LFS's, yet have a very difficult time finding healthy stock.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
stella1979 said:
That stinks Gypsy, and I too get frustrated with cheap junk, though more so with stuff for the kids rather than aquarium equipment.

I've only been MTS deep into the hobby for a little over a year, but I learned to hate Aqueon vacs and have gained a little respect for their Python replacements. I've also had good luck with heaters so far. I use Jagers but they are all paired with a temp controller like an Inkbird. I don't know if it'll extend the life of the heaters, but they'll never cook my stock.

I love Aquaclear HOB's. Simple yet effective design and easy to modify to suit my needs. I've had a pump on one of them break though, and that is where my bad luck has lied... pumps. I had a powerhead just stop working only 3 months after the setup of the pricey little reef tank.

My biggest frustration with the hobby? I am surrounded by LFS's, yet have a very difficult time finding healthy stock.
I have one LFS within a fifty mile radius. It’s all furbabies and reptiles around here. Finding healthy fish is impossible. I like the idea of a temp controller. Thank you!

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Unfortunately it's really about "you get what you paid for" kind of deal. Last year I was looking at getting a Sun Sun and I told my wife to look at it. She basically said no cause she didn't like the fact that people were complaining that they leaked...she wanted me to find something better...

So yes...I run things by my wife first before buying...sad isn't it?

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fashooga said:
Unfortunately it's really about "you get what you paid for" kind of deal. Last year I was looking at getting a Sun Sun and I told my wife to look at it. She basically said no cause she didn't like the fact that people were complaining that they leaked...she wanted me to find something better...

So yes...I run things by my wife first before buying...sad isn't it?
Not at all. Wish my hubby would.
As far as cost. The horrible gravel vacs were from 12-20$. The one I use at the pond and I just ordered one for the aquarium is 8$.

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
My topfin stuff seems to work fine. Their heaters, tanks and maintenance stuff works. (BUT NOT THE DIVIDER MY FEMALE BETTAS WIGGLED THROUGH IT) Anyway they re did all there stuff and im happy with it. The new heaters work awesome! My gravel vacs hose sometimes slips off from water pressure and water sprays all over my stuff. (Totally not from experience) But thats just my opinion, i know some of you hate TopFin but your boi is on a budget here with 10 bettas. Oh i almost forgot... Their garbage 1gallon divided into 3 bettas shook me to the core with anger and i saved three bettas from someone on kijji. (they are doing good now)
upload_2018-5-15_14-28-56.png
For OP, (Photo Description: A small top fin 1 gallon aqua blue tank with three lights. Clown gravel and low water level with cloudy water. Two divider with 3 male bettas. A red halfmoon betta with ripped fins,blue veiltail betta and plakat red betta. Each have 1 small pointy plant.)

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
CanadianFishFan said:
My topfin stuff seems to work fine. Their heaters, tanks and maintenance stuff works. (BUT NOT THE DIVIDER MY FEMALE BETTAS WIGGLED THROUGH IT) Anyway they re did all there stuff and im happy with it. The new heaters work awesome! My gravel vacs hose sometimes slips off from water pressure and water sprays all over my stuff. (Totally not from experience) But thats just my opinion, i know some of you hate TopFin but your boi is on a budget here with 10 bettas. Oh i almost forgot... Their garbage 1gallon divided into 3 bettas shook me to the core with anger and i saved three bettas from someone on kijji. (they are doing good now)
View attachment 438402For OP, (Photo Description: A small top fin 1 gallon aqua blue tank with three lights. Clown gravel and low water level with cloudy water. Two divider with 3 male bettas. A red halfmoon betta with ripped fins,blue veiltail betta and plakat red betta. Each have 1 small pointy plant.)
I’m ever so glad you rescued them! One of my gravel vacs was TopFin. The tubing just started coming apart.
And btw, everybody needs to just stop typing the word betta. I’m telling my heart no no no. But every post I hear about them my heart says yes yes yes yes! No! Oh I need help! Lol

J.Ho

Valued Member
Reaction score
I hear you on that. Almost all of the equipment I have is hand me down. IO think I bought 1 HoB filter about 10 years ago, a gravel vac and recently a DIY CO2 kit that I have to set up. I've taken to just bodging together or trying to fabricate whatever I need instead of buying it if I can help it. There is so much **** of dubious quality, sometimes even from notable brands, and it can be very frustrating to find something remotely close to what you want that doesn't seem to need some over priced accessory, or have shoddy parts designed to wear out over time.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
J.Ho said:
I hear you on that. Almost all of the equipment I have is hand me down. IO think I bought 1 HoB filter about 10 years ago, a gravel vac and recently a DIY CO2 kit that I have to set up. I've taken to just bodging together or trying to fabricate whatever I need instead of buying it if I can help it. There is so much **** of dubious quality, sometimes even from notable brands, and it can be very frustrating to find something remotely close to what you want that doesn't seem to need some over priced accessory, or have shoddy parts designed to wear out over time.
I’d rather make it myself too. Will if I have to.

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My fish equipment tends to last but nothing else ibuy does. Toasters are the worst im lucky if they last 6 months before the could 1 side more then the over.

KimAnnKitz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My worst fail was a 16 gallon Nuvo Marine all-in-one tank that cost me over $350. Was filled with gorgeous plants and happy fish until it decided to spring a huge leak at just over a year old. It was a disaster. Lost all the plants but saved the fish in a 6 gallon tank. Took me 2 years to try another tank that size...

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
KimAnnKitz said:
My worst fail was a 16 gallon Nuvo Marine all-in-one tank that cost me over $350. Was filled with gorgeous plants and happy fish until it decided to spring a huge leak at just over a year old. It was a disaster. Lost all the plants but saved the fish in a 6 gallon tank. Took me 2 years to try another tank that size...
How awful! That’s always a fear. That’s why I’m going to take a chance on my 40 long with its chips. Figured it’s the same chance I’d be taking on a new one. Only difference is I’ll know where this one will fail. I’ll have buckets and my 29 still up and going and lots of water absorbent stuff right handy.
I’m glad you saved the fish!

Bogart16

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
For gravel vacs, I actually really like the imagitarium ones sold at Petco. They're cheap and hold together well. I've bought a few for a few different tanks over the years.

Only ever had one heater fail, and it was one of those super cheap Tetra preset ones. I stick with the Aqueon Pro line now and I think they're worth the extra expense.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bogart16 said:
For gravel vacs, I actually really like the imagitarium ones sold at Petco. They're cheap and hold together well. I've bought a few for a few different tanks over the years.

Only ever had one heater fail, and it was one of those super cheap Tetra preset ones. I stick with the Aqueon Pro line now and I think they're worth the extra expense.
I bought the aqueon pro for my 40 long. Glad you said you like it. Thanks.

KimAnnKitz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thank
Gypsy13 said:
How awful! That’s always a fear. That’s why I’m going to take a chance on my 40 long with its chips. Figured it’s the same chance I’d be taking on a new one. Only difference is I’ll know where this one will fail. I’ll have buckets and my 29 still up and going and lots of water absorbent stuff right handy.
I’m glad you saved the fish!

Thank you. It was horrible. The water was literally pouring out and I grabbed the only empty tank I had and quickly set it up. I used media and gravel from the draining tank. Ended up with a dwarf gourami and 3 dwarf Cory cats (1 had 5) in that 6 and 2 dwarf Cory's went into a lightly stocked 5 gallon. The fish all lived happily in that 6 gallon...that is until my dwarf gourami somehow got out of the tank that had a glass lid. He was 2+ years old and beautiful. The dwarf Cory's are now in my new 16 gallon. I hope the chips don't cause issues. I don't think they will unless they are big. Best of luck.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom