Total cost for 55g including equipment Question

1. delta5 Well Known Member Member

Its been roughly 2 months since getting the 55g tank and buying everything for it over the past 2 months. Somehow "I" spent roughly 900 dollars just on the 55g including the cost of the fish. In the total includes cleaning equipment, food/chems, and everything needed to do it right.

So my question is this. Not including fish or food. How much money is reasonable for properly setting up a 100% new 55g tank?

2. Michael Briggs Member Member

Don't know about a 55 but I spent roughly 600 on my 29 gallon tank lol.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. millca Member Member

Oh, man, I feel your pain. Since starting my fish fettish in late December, I've easily spent over $1200-1500. Crazy how all those little purchases add up to a HUGE sum. This isn't an inexpensive hobby. The cost of the fish is the cheapest part of the hobby in most cases. Sure, I could have saved some money by buying all used on Craigslist, but there's always some fear of disease coming alongside those purchases, so I often opted to new. I did get my 54G corner tank used on craigslist for $100. Then you need to buy a light, air pump, airline hoses and adapters, bubble wands/air stones, filter and media, decorations, gravel, water conditioner, meds, cleaning hoses and pumps, tools, sponges, and the list goes on and on endlessly, it seems.

$900 for a 55G isn't that unrealistic in my experience. I've setup four tanks for the price I've put into the hobby so far. But now that I've discovered ranchus, I want to scale back and focus on that breed. Now I just have to get up enough courage to sell some of the equipment for a fraction of the cost.

4. SW5 Well Known Member Member

Oh my, I understand, my 20 gallon just hit $550.. I have figured out that my 55 is gonna cost about $500, mostly because I am building my own stand, and SunSun filters are cheap.

5. delta5 Well Known Member Member

I still got to build a stand. Right now my 55g is on our solid wood coffee table. Mostly because it's low enough to give our son a good view. Now to decide between 20 packs of sculpey 3 clay or actual rock to make more caves.

6. Lyfeoffishing Well Known Member Member

Well my 55 has run me about $1500. Thats not including any fish just plants and equipment.

7. SW5 Well Known Member Member

What are you people buying that I am not? Mine seems to be cheaper than all of yours. I wonder if I forgot something...

8. Lyfeoffishing Well Known Member Member

Tank/stand (new) $550
    LED light $330
    Plants $100-150
    Fertilizer $50-100
    Filters $150
    Heaters $75
    Sand $120 (petco sand isnt cheap)
    Glass hoods $30
    Planting equipment $150

9. delta5 Well Known Member Member

Paid roughly

200 for the tank, glass tops, and 48" Aqueon 35w light. (combo sell at lfs)

130 C-220
    045 AQ55
    035 200W National geo heater
    040 ish in substrate
    050 ish in plants
    120 ish in test, chems
    030 ish in food
    060 ish in decor (including homemade cave.
    040 ish for 5 labs
    030 for 10 TB
    016 for 2green tiger barbs (i know :()
    001 for pleco
    007 for 5 black molly, 2 red wag platy
    050 for aqueon hose that removes and refills tank

These are rounded down and without tax.

10. SW5 Well Known Member Member

Holy cow! Why did a that cost that much? My tank kit + stand will be $230 Also, I am doing an ULTRA low setup as far as plants and such go, which seemed to be most of your expenses. And you're right, petco sand isn't cheap! :O delta5
    Your equipment costs were just higher I guess, not sure why, but they are.

Here are my costs:

55G Tank Kit: $160 (Includes net, HOB filter, Piece of junk heater, two 24 inch full hoods with questionable LED lighting, and the tank, of course)
    Filtration: $100 (SunSun HW-304B)
    Heater: $33 (Eheim Jager 250W, it gets cold in my basement)
    Misc. Maintenance Supplies: $30 (Siphon, etc.)
    Decor/Substrate/A few plants: $140
    Stand: $20 (Will be $50 once finished with stained plywood)

Now I feel like I have a low-quality setup, compared to you guys. :(

11. jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

Lol don't feel bad SW5. My last 55 was a craigslist deal, got a tank/stand/canopy/glass tops for $50 along with a couple of whisper internal filters. Using PFS (~$10), a used oddysea 3x54w fixture (~$100) and a turtle dock ($15). Have a few potted plants in there that get routinely trampled ($10).

12. Lyfeoffishing Well Known Member Member

That is tank and a stand. Also from petsmart (not smart lol)

13. SW5 Well Known Member Member

LOL, the funny thing is jetajockey, all of my spare money is going toward this 55! Well, not all of it, in theory, but I figure, in the future, this thing will cost upwards of $700, because there is always something else to buy, right? My 20G was originally going to be $300 at most, and look at me now, at $557.52 as of yesterday, and still going strong!!!

14. delta5 Well Known Member Member

Don't think that. I'd luv to have a sunsun, but I have to be able to physically pick it up at a store. I know, i'm odd like that.

My tank, light, and lids are all aqueon. IDK how high up that is but not much lol. I'd luv to have a Eheim heater as well, but I went with something less ostentatious. BTW, where did you find your heater for 33 dollars? http://www.petsmart.com/supplies/he...16566&SelectionCacheKey=125W|&_t=pfm=category

I didn't get it from petsmart, but this is the best investment I made yet aside from an api master test kit: http://www.petsmart.com/fish/aquari...-catid-300018?var_id=36-16763&_t=pfm=category

15. SW5 Well Known Member Member

16. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Wow that's a lot of money. I only payed 75 dollars for my complete 60 gallon setup. I got it on craigslist. It was a steal because it included everything. 3 heaters, filter, hood, lights, stand, air pumps, food and a lot of other equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

17. Anthony10 Member Member

My 75g saltwater only costed me 700$?

-Anthony

18. WiFi Well Known Member Member

Well, it really depends if your buying new or used. I could easily see over $600 at least if I bought new, but Craigslist is my best buddy! I found my 55g with stand, air pump, filter, and glass tops, all for $65. He had like 10 tanks and had to downsize.

All together with all of my tanks, fish, and etc. stuff it was like $600. Can't remember exact amount now, but everything but fish, meds, and food I've gotten used. Besides my last filter on my 29g, I purchased that myself new.

19. ravenxcore Well Known Member Member

I've started 3 tanks in the last 3 months, and have spent at least $1000. Luckily I got my 35 gal tall tank & stand free via craigslist.

40 gal long tank
    Tank - $40 (petco $1 sale)
    Mainland penguin 350 filter - $40
    Tetra ex45 filter - $30
    30 lbs gravel, 20 lbs sand - $35
    Decor - $50-$70
    Live plant - $15-$20
    Thermometer - $2
    Heater - $20
    Air pump & attachments $25
    Water conditioner, fertilizer, bacteria, iron supplements - $30
    Master test kit - $30
    Activated carbon - $10
    Fish - $100 or so
    Total about $450 +

20. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Cost varies per area. I sold my 55 set up for $120 which included everything needed to get started including cycled media, chemicals, substrate, and NLS food, all the person needed was fish.

Don't worry about how much you spent, i'm sure everyone will agree that it's a worthwhile investment :)