Tornado Scare, I Love My Fish

Katreno101

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Had a super close call. And F2 tornado touched down about 2 miles west of me on my street Highland. Got the dogs and hedgehog in the shelter and as I was grabbing the hedge hog I wrapped my arms around my fish tank and hugged them. I cried a lot because i wasnt sure what was going to happen. I know it was only an F2 but it could have gotten worse. Hearing it go over, i was just so upset in the storm shelter. I cried and shook and have loads of anxiety attacks and couldn't stop thinking about my fish, especially Dory and Sidon(Opal). I think they knew something was up cause all my fish were huddled up under the log in their tank when everything had passed. I think they knew something was up, it took almost an hour for them to come out again.

I really want to develop something to save my fish in case this happens again. I know I cant save all of them, especially my danios as they are hard to catch, but my koi angel (Dory), my electric Blue Acaras (Sidon/Opal) and my Rainbow fishies, I'm especially fond of these guys. Any ideas? I posted something similar so I may use the Plastic Tote idea with a filter. I just worry I would shock the fish by quickly introducing them to a different water set up. Should I just keep a bucket on hand and syphon their exit water in it and keep them in a bucket with a spare filter?

Attachments

Seasoldier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wow that must have been a real shock, it's early in the season for a tornado isn't it? I know when disasters happen it's impulse to try to protect the things you love but when a tornado touches down would you even have enough time to transfer your fish to another container & get them into your shelter? Just a personal feeling but I don't think you should risk your life like that, glad you're all OK.

Ioana Dog

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I agree - not sure risking your life for fish is worth it. I love my fish but I’m not sure I’d die for them (maybe for my dog). Are the tanks in a central low part of your house? Maybe anchor them really well? I know that won’t help with a strong tornado but maybe. This won’t help with flying objects - don’t know if you can make some sort of shield that fastens to the floor to further anchor it? But if it takes more than a few seconds to put the shield on it isn’t worth it. There are plenty of fish in the sea as they say (adjust saying as needed based on your fish).

If you could scoop your fish up in a few seconds (I’m guessing you’d have to practice) then maybe a bucket with a lid and some prime. If the power goes out a filter won’t do you much good but a battery powered air pump would work.

Katreno101

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I was thinking of leaving a tote in the cellar and getting a battery powered pump or filter and just transporting the fish in plastic baggies. The ones I can catch quickly. Which my angel and Acaras are super cooperative.

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
We get posts about this about this time of the year. While I commend you that you want to keep your fish alive through a terrible ordeal, if I was in a situation where my life and family were in danger, my family and myself come first.

Fish can be replaced, human lives cannot.

Katreno101

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The tanks are against inside walls both on the second floor. And new 150 is ground level but theres a big window nearby

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom