Tornado Evacuation????

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Katreno101, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Katreno101

Katreno101Valued MemberMember

I live in Tornado Alley, and Storm season is coming up. What should I do in case of a major tornado. I'm thinking of putting some tubs in the cellar and leaving them hooked up to filters. Basic basic basic, but sustainable cause if the house gets destroyed they will need to stay in these tanks for a while. But is it unheard of to try and save your fish from a disaster like This? I watched this video on YouTube and it really set the fear of this happening. God.... It's just... terrifying when you realize how small and powerless you are in situations like this, I lived through and had so many close calls over the years, but it could happen to me at any time. I'm just not sure what I should do.

2. OP
    OP
    Katreno101

This is me doing volunteer work, holding the cat I rescued. It was emotionally draining. May, 2013. Moore Oklahoma

Attached Files:

3. OP
    OP
    Katreno101

This destruction is just so real and close to home, I want to try and have a backup plan in case it hits my house. Another photo of a house we worked on. That tv mount really held up. I'll never forget this experience .

Attached Files:

4. Fashooga

FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

Last year this forum had discussions about hurricanes and what to do with the fish, lots of questions and post about it. Simple answer...save yourself. Fish can be replaced, your life can't.

5. FlipFlopFishFlake

FlipFlopFishFlakeWell Known MemberMember

I would recommend to invest in a generator, and have a place to hide out with the fish (like a storm shelter) Keep them in the tubs you mentioned, and make sure to have food stored away. However, always put yourself first. Don't stay upstairs with an oncoming tornado just to catch the last neon tetra, in fact, if you don't have an ample warning, you should leave and not try to rescue the fish. As @Fashooga stated, your life is more important then your fish. Those images are really awe inspiring in the most negative sense of the word, it is truly stunning to see the damage done on families. It's really great of you to do volunteer work for those less fortunate, often events like a natural disaster show people's true character. Luckily I never had to deal with a tornado myself, the only one that has ever happened was a freak event. It destroyed a lot of my neighbors houses and somehow "hopped" over mine, only destroying the chimney.
    Stay safe;)

6. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Bless your heart for your care and compation for the little ones. So many people forget that they are living beings and are dependent on us.

7. Danjamesdixon

DanjamesdixonWell Known MemberMember

Agreed Thunder - many are quick to dismiss our little friends as unimportant compared to our own lives. While that is an understandable position, it's not one I agree with. They're completely dependant on us, and we choose to keep them. We don't get to just abandon them at the first sign of danger.

8. WTFish?

WTFish?Well Known MemberMember

Aw, I think it’s great to think ahead, sounds like a great plan to have a back up, cycled tank in the cellar....I was raised in Ok too with many close calls, can never be too prepared (although it was a hobby to chase tornadoes, lol) Thanks for sharing your photos.

9. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFanWell Known MemberMember

yes, you are more important then your fish... I live in the lesser chance of tornado alley but get like 2 close calls each year... I just hope and pray it all stays safe. Or just move into your basement and have a fish room in the middle of the floor surrounded by concrete. I hate tornadoes and hope you never get hit by one! Once the siren go off you need to grab your phone, and food and family. scooping up fish could take awhile and the tornado would get you before you could run. Its sad but true. Think about all those petstores that tornado run though. Fish go flying and die. Actually i want to look into that and see how many petstores are hit and what happens to the animals that go flying.

10. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFanWell Known MemberMember

Lol make sure to buy that tv mount then

11. Rojer Ramjet

Rojer RamjetWell Known MemberMember

Ever hear of flying fish..?

Now you know (and knowing is half the battle!!! GI Joe!!!).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice