Torn Fin, Not Sure Where To Put This

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Miyu, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Miyu

MiyuNew MemberMember

I came home after having been out for several hours and noticed a huge tear in my betta's fin. He was totally fine when I left today, and hasn't really had any issues up until this point. Everything in his tank is relatively soft too, so I'm not sure what happened. Where do I go from here?

He also isn't acting any differently. I missed putting in the photo. Sorry. He kept moving and wouldn't let me get a good shot.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  2. MattS99

MattS99Well Known MemberMember

I can't see the pictures too well, sorry. Do you notice any white spots along the tear?

3. OP
    OP
    Miyu

MiyuNew MemberMember

None. It looks like a pretty clean tear.

4. MattS99

What's the tank size and temp? I'm assuming you have a filter as well. Bettas will sometimes bite off their fins when stressed.

5. trixirita

trixiritaValued MemberMember

You may think everything in his tank is soft, but usually clean tears that are sudden in from decorations. Maybe post a photo?

6. OP
    OP
    Miyu

MiyuNew MemberMember

5 gal, 74 degrees. And I definitely have a filter.

I've used some of them with previous fish without issues.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  7. MattS99

Trixirita might be on to something. I noticed something that looks like a log on one of your pics of him. Maybe he got caught on it? They say anything that can tear pantyhose can tear a betta's fin.

8. OP
    OP
    Miyu

MiyuNew MemberMember

Interesting. I hadn't heard that before. Maybe I'll try taking it out

9. MattS99

I honestly think it just got ripped off by something. If he's swimming and eating fine I'm sure he's ok :). And my boy has fin rot right now, so I'd be able to spot it right away.

10. OP
    OP
    Miyu

MiyuNew MemberMember

Alright. What can I do? Can I heal it?

11. MattS99

Clean, almost pristine water and time should do the trick, assuming the fin wasn't shredded from the root. Doesn't look like it was.

12. OP
    OP
    Miyu

MiyuNew MemberMember

Okay, I'll do that. Thank you!!

13. MattS99

No problem! Seems like you're new to FishLore, so welcome to the site! Ever need any other advice on anything (I specialize in livebearers, bettas, and dwarf cichlids) just send me a message or start a thread.

14. OP
    OP
    Miyu

MiyuNew MemberMember

I am new, so thank you. I really appreciate it. :)

15. AllieSten

AllieStenFishlore VIPMember

Welcome to Fishlore!

Make sure that the inside of the log doesn't have any sharp edges. My guy ripped his fin last week on an inside seam of a decoration. It took me awhile to figure it out.

Also your filter might be the issue. The open slots under the water, on the front of the filter, is your intake. It sucks water into the filter. The fins can also get sucked into the intake and tear. You might need to cover the intake with a media bag. You can find them at any fish store or online. They are a fine mesh, so the tail cannot get sucked into the slots.

Now the last thing is your tank is too cold. He needs to be kept between 78-80 degrees. So if you don't have a heater, you need to get one. The fins won't heal if the fish isn't at the proper temperature. Sometimes they even need it up higher to help with healing, but I wouldn't suggest higher than 80 for now.

Best way to heal the fins, is to do daily water changes. I would do daily 50% water changes for the next 5-7 days and see if you see any healing. The fins will grow back clearish or white in color, so you will be able to tell if it is working. Also be sure to feed him a diet that is high in protein. So adding frozen brine shrimp or blood worms will promote healing too.

Good luck!

16. OP
    OP
    Miyu

MiyuNew MemberMember

That's really good to know. I do have a heater, I'll stick that in soon. Thank you. I'll do all of that in the morning.

17. -Mak-

-Mak-Well Known MemberMember

Is his tank cycled? Ammonia may also hinder healing.

18. AllieSten

AllieStenFishlore VIPMember

Yes but the daily water changes will help with that. So cycled or not, that is the best way to heal the fins.

Not that I am happy that this has happened to your fish. But it reminded me to change my water. I had forgotten to do my daily change with my guy's torn fins. So thanks :)

19. trixirita

trixiritaValued MemberMember

Maybe that fluffy plant? Just a precaution buy your Bettas some medication and salt. Looks like you are taking good care though

20. Jocelyn AdelmanFishlore VIPMember

Ok, so first off the log is a "betta log" yes? Not real wood? Def didn't tear fins on that.
    My guess would be the taller plant just to the left of the filter, everything else seems rounded enough.

Welcome to fishlore!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice