Torn Fin Healing Process

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by veiltalemale, Apr 17, 2017.

1. v

veiltalemale New Member Member

Hello everyone. Thank you for opening my thread. To start off, I am new to fish keeping so please be patient as my questions may be obvious to more experienced fish keepers. About three months ago I bought my first fish ever. I got a male betta, Bao. As I was just starting off I had him in a tiny tank (1.2 gallon) with a plant that was too hard on his fins. It was about a month later after getting him that his fins were torn, so I bought him a new tank (5.5 gallon) with new plants that are suitable for his fins. At this time, I assumed it was fin rot so I joined fishlore and asked for help (thank you to all the wonderful people who helped save my Bao). You can go look for more information. Now I don't believe that it was fin rot, as one helpful member convinced me it was new tank syndrome. Since then I have stopped treating for fin rot, I did partial water changes daily for about a week and a half (then started seeing improvement), changed my water conditioner and bought a test kit. Since starting my new course of action, Bao's personality has been nothing like I've seen before. He is extremely territorial (as soon as my finger touches water he attacks), he is flaring his fins which I didn't see before, and he swims 10x faster. Despite all of this, his fins have not fully healed yet. It's been a while since, and his fins have been starting to worry me again. I have attached a picture, the top left is when I first got him, top right is when I first noticed his fins, bottom left was when I started to notice improvements and the bottom right is a picture I took today. As you can see, the first picture he did not have any fin on the side of this body (I'm so sorry I forgot the name), and the picture that I took today - it is visible. Yet, in the second, third and fourth picture his fins haven't completely healed. Is there anything else I could be doing? Are there stages of the fin healing process that I should know? Has anyone else experienced this? Please let me know.

Also, I posted another thread today about white hair algae. If you could please take a look and leave a comment if you know anything that might help - it'd be appreciated.

Thank you all so much in advance!

2. OP
    OP
    v

IMG_3827.JPG Sorry I forgot to add the picture. Here it is.

3. Dragones5150918

Dragones5150918 Well Known Member Member

Let me say first he is a very nice looking Betta.

I've zoomed in to your pictures, and to be honest, he looks very healthy for a crowntail. I see no typical signs of fin rot. With healing, you will see a clear membrane at the base of the healing spot, and it will pigment in as the fins grow back together.

In my opinion, just keep doing what your doing.

4. OP
    OP
    v

Thank you so much for commenting. He is actually a veiltale but on my first thread another member said the same thing. I see the clear membrane on the side fins, but not on the rest.

5. Dragones5150918

Are the fins still deteriorating or maintaining on the ones that are not healing?

It's good you see a clear membrane on some of the fins, so he is healing.

6. OP
    OP
    v

They are no longer deteriorating, but near the ends they seem to be curling more than what they had before. I read an article saying that you can trim the fins when they curl, is that true? I haven't seen anything on this site saying that people have tried it. I don't want to make anything worse.

7. Dragones5150918

I would leave it personally. How is your ammonia level? Curling of fins can be a number of things like water quality, cramped spaces (like the Betta cups), and genetics. It is hard to totally figure out why it's curling if your water quality is great.

8. OP
    OP
    v

When I tested it today, it said zero.

9. Dragones5150918

If your nitrate is below 40 PPM, then we have to look at other things sigh as low gh levels, vitamin deficiencies, air exposure, and so forth.

10. Siggygym

Siggygym Valued Member Member

Very interesting thread as I'm experiencing the same with my betta. I now know it is not fin rot and the fins are growing but one tear gets fixed while another one appears somewhere else... I've tried everything but what I cannot fix is the nitrates which are contained in my tap water. I'm upgrading him to a 60l tank with the hope that will help water quality and control. Please keep us posted as interested to hear how you are progressing. Thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice