Torch Coral

1. fishman705 Member Member

Does anyone know anything about torch corals? I'm expecting one today and wanted to see who's had experience with them. I'm also needing to know if theres a specific place or area in my tank where it needs to be placed.

2. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Hi. :)

I've got a frogspawn (also in the genus Euphyllia, same as torch) that I've had for nearly 5 years, and various experiences with hammer and torch through a lfs job I used to have. They are neat corals! They like a decent bit of flow, but they do NOT like direct flow so be sure you place yours where it will not get blasted by a powerhead. They aren't terribly demanding in terms of lighting or overall care. They are photosynthetic. You can target feed mysis and stuff from time to time, but you don't have to. Torch coral can be aggressive toward other corals, and it has long sweeper tentacles which give it a fair bit of reach. Be sure to give it some space so it doesn't sting your other corals.

What kind of lighting do you have, what size tank, etc?

3. fishman705 Member Member

Well I have about a 30 gallon long with 10 lbs. Of live rock and 45 lbs of live sand,LED lighting and some pretty good flow. I'm still gonna add about 15 lbs more of live rock that I need.