Topping Off Water

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by jazmin, Apr 20, 2019.

1. jazminNew MemberMember

hi all,

i just need some advice about topping off my tank. If i should do it or if it’s still fine. i’ve been using tetra safestart for about a week and 2 days now. recently just started seeing a spike in my ammonia and i believe that is the first step in the cycle. my question is, can i top off my tank while using tetra safestart. Or should i just let it be until the two weeks are up. i’ve attached a picture of what it looks like now.

Attached Files:

2. FahnFishlore VIPMember

I'd go ahead and top off, if you really wanted to you could use distilled water. That way you're not adding anything extra to the tank.

3. jazminNew MemberMember

4. FahnFishlore VIPMember

Yes, use water conditioner on all new water you add to the tank.

5. jazminNew MemberMember

okay thank you

6. ElkwatcherValued MemberMember

When you are finished with your cycle though remember top offs don't remove nitrates only regular water changes do.. you don't want to end up with Old Tank Syndrome and nitrates through the roof.

7. jazminNew MemberMember

yes i know, i plan on doing a water change once the two weeks are up. i’m keeping track of my readings now that i am reading .50 ammonia, so if anything were to happen i know when to do a water change just in case. Any idea of how long i should let the stress coat sit in the water before i add it to the tank?

8. IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

9. jazminNew MemberMember

i am doing a fish-in cycle. my parameters right now are .50 ammonia, no nitrites, and about 3 ppm nitrate (it wasn’t yellow but it wasn’t a bright orange either) i have had the safestart in since last thursday. i ended up topping off the water with api stress coat after all. i’m also adding in an air stone on monday.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  10. IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

Topping off water isn't a problem. I know Tetra advises not to do water changes, but top offs are ok.

Good luck with the cycle

11. jazminNew MemberMember

that’s what i figured. once the two weeks are up and it’s safe to do a water change i’ll probably do a 25% one. hopefully it’ll be cycled by then. by the looks of my parameters it looks like it’s on it’s way

12. FancytailaquaticsNew MemberMember

A fish in a cycle is not a great way to do it as I have many videos on how to not do it. Top offs do nothing. Changing water about 10% every day is the way to go. Keep in mind without the biological system doing what it needs to do, you are not doing much with water changes! It takes about 4-6 weeks under ideal conditions and not having used media to help.