Topping off the tank with more water...quick responses please Help

1. A

AspiringAquarist Valued Member Member

My water temperature is currently 80 degrees and obviously water is evaporating from my tank daily. Unfortunately, I am still cycling and have fish in the tank...

I was going to add some dechlorinated water to the tank, but then I realized my dechlorinater is Prime. Prime neutralizes the ammonia, changing it to ammonium. I don't want ammonium in my tank now because I want my growing bacteria to feed on ammonia, not ammonium.

But if I don't increase the water level, it will soon reach the minimum water level for my heater. And I don't want to purchase a separate dechlorinater that does not neutralize ammonia specifically for this occasion.

What should I do? :confused:

Thanks.

2. navyscuba

navyscuba Well Known Member Member

I think the only option you have is using the prime. You have fish in the tank so you have your hands tide.

3. djbrist

djbrist Valued Member Member

Distilled water could be an option??

Protect your fish first though, imo, maybe you'll just have to chance of slowing your cycle.

my thoughts...
    Dave

4. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I would strongly advise using the prime. It detoxifies the ammonia, but still leaves it available for the nitrifying bacteria, so it helps to protect your fish during the cycling process.

When cycling with fish, it's best to do daily water changes with a dechlorinator that detoxifies ammonia and nitrites.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

5. OP
    OP
    A

Oh, I forgot to mention that I am currently on Day 9 of TSS. The Q & A states not to use any ammonia neutralizers, so that is why I was unsure of using the Prime.

6. bolivianbaby

With TSS, don't use the prime. If I'm not mistaken, the only dechlorinator that can be used with it is Tetra Aquasafe.

My best advice would be to go to Wal-Mart and get Aquasafe if you want to top off your tank. Or if it can wait two more days, you can top off the tank then.

I hope this helped. I was unaware you were using TSS.

7. OP
    OP
    A

Why two days? I thought that if after 10 days and your ammonia is not 0, you have to do daily Prime water changes.

8. bolivianbaby

I didn't know if you were "officially" on day 9 or coming up on day 9. Sorry, busy weekend, I'm a little scattered.

You are correct, after day 10, if the tank isn't cycled, it's daily water changes with Prime.:)

9. OP
    OP
    A

10. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Distilled or RO water is going to serve you best I think. Distilled water contains no chlorine so you don' need to be worried about the effects of dechlorinator & the water that has evaporated is pure, leaving behind minerals in your tank & raising the GH. Regular top offs with distilled water will become routine for you if you have lots of evaporation taking place.

11. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

A note of caution:

Using distilled water can drastically lower your pH levels if you use too much. Be careful and add it slowly if you decide to go this route.

Ken

12. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Depends on the PH already. Distilled water has a PH of 7.0 so there shouldn't be any problem with it causing too much of a drop.