Topics On Tetras

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Fanatic, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Hey everyone! I have a few questions about Tetras, and possibly the perfect type for my community, that I hope to begin soon!

I was thinking of doing Red Minor Tetras, but I need help on tank selections, perfect plants, and ideas.

Questions I Have:

What size tank do I need?
    How many can fit into 10 - 20G?
    How shall I start the community?
    Tankmates?

All I know is, that I want to be completely understood when I walk into that store, and prepare to buy everything I need.

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Hyphessobrycon eques – Serpae Tetra

A 10 gal tank is too small; a 20 gal tank would be the minimum, but I would go ahead and get a 29 gal for them. You'll be able to keep a larger school of them this way, which would make them more comfortable and less nippy.

You could do something like this in a 29 gal:

15x Serpae tetra
    10x Cories (all one species, lots of options here!)
    2x Keyholes or Bolivian rams or another pair of dwarf cichlids

3. OP
    OP
    Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Does PetCo have any good deals on 29g's?

This is perfect! I could totally do this, and it would look so pretty to do a large amount of them.

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

They're having their $1/gal sale now, so you can get the tank for $29.

I would not buy a tank and kit. Instead, I would get the tank and hunt around (online, used equipment, etc.) for equipment to save some money and still get quality equipment. The equipment included in kits is very often of poor quality.

5. B

Betrayer Well Known Member Member

Agreed! I purchased a 29-gallon TopFin kit. I have replaced the filter, heater, and cover--everything that came with it except the tank itself

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice