Topics Being Moved?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by AllieSten, Apr 8, 2017.

1. AllieSten

AllieStenFishlore VIPMember

Can I ask a non-fish question. Why do so many of the posts get moved? I find it thoroughly frustrating to try and find a post and it is gone. I get that there are separate boards for many different topics. But don't you think we could maybe get a little note on the original post as to where it was moved to? When using the app, it doesn't always notify you when you have a reply to your post. It also doesn't always list every post you have participated in, or are subscribed to. This has been the issue for a few weeks, and I know I am not the only one. I find myself searching and searching sometimes for a post that I started.

After posting to the correct forum (stocking questions), where I had one reply in two days. I posted just a quick note, with a link to the original post, in the beginners forum. Just trying to drum up some traffic to my original post. And within the hour it was gone. And I cannot find the second post anywhere. Soooo incredibly irritating!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  2. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

Hi Allie
    Cross posting is not neessary when you can simply bump a question after waiting 24 hours (for non emergency situations) if there are no replies.
    Imagine what a mess the forum would be if everyone cross posted.

3. JRS

JRSWell Known MemberMember

relative newbie here to forums - how and what is bumping a post?

4. Lucy

Bumping is posting in a thread for the sole purpose of pushing it to the top of all other threads.

5. JRS

JRSWell Known MemberMember

Ah

6. OP
    OP
    AllieSten

Yes I do understand that. But more than once I have went to look for a post I read the night before, and it has been moved. Then it takes forever to find it again. If it can be located at all. All I am asking is if I could be notified if I need to move my post. Then maybe next time I will know where to post certain questions. When the post disappears with no explanation, the first thing I think is that someone deleted it, not that it had been moved.

The Tapatalk app is much easier to navigate through the boards for sure, but the Fishlore app doesn't even list all the different boards. When I downloaded Tapatalk last night I was SHOCKED at how many more forum boards there were in the Fishlore Forum. I had no idea even half of them existed.

I am not a novice at working through message boards or having posts moved and searching for them. I have moderated more than one forum/group in the past. I am thinking this might be aggravated by something going on with the app itself. I was having to subscribe to my own posts to find them, and then it would only show up half the time on my list. Might be something to look into.

It's just as it sounds. You literally post the word Bump as a comment on your post. It will take it to the top of the timeline.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2017
  7. Lucy

Yeah the apps are limited. Condensed versions of web site.
    I find them hard to navigate and avoid them.

If I recall (and it may have changed) there is an option on the FL app to view the full website.
    Think that option was at the bottom. It might have changed by now.

I don't mean this to be rude so please don't take it that way.
    During the course of the day and night the moderators have to move dozens of threads.
    We just don't have the time to contact everyone. We try to leave a re-direct for a short period of time to help members find their moved posts.

8. OP
    OP
    AllieSten

Ohhh I don't think you are being rude at all. I appreciate the open communication about it. I totally get the point about the volume of work it takes. I honestly think that most of my frustration is coming from the Fishlore app. Now that I have been using the tapatalk app for several hours, it has become clear I was missing out on so much more to the entire forum. I don't use a computer very often, so it is easier for me to use the app. The web version isn't that great when using it on your phone either lol.

Thank you for taking the time to talk me through this. I really do appreciate it.

9. Lucy

You're welcome!
    I'm glad Tapatalk opened you up to most of what the forum has to offer. It's a big place with a lot of information and friendly people :)

10. Mike

MikeFishloreAdmin Moderator Member

A couple things...
    I am wondering if you are using the Fishlore app or the other app that shows up when searching for fishlore in the app store? That app has no affiliation with this forum and it may have issues since I don't even know who developed it. I have gotten a few messages from people in the past few days having issues and they are using that app instead of the Fishlore app.

The Fishlore app IS tapatalk. It is just a Fishlore branded version of tapatalk and we have some custom links in the menu of the app. Tapatalk actually developed the app for us.

11. oOBlueOo

oOBlueOoWell Known MemberMember

@Mike is this the app you're talking about? This is the one I use and my topics sometimes don't load properly.

[​IMG]

12. Mom2some

Mom2someWell Known MemberMember

So which is the "right" fishlore app?

13. Mike

MikeFishloreAdmin Moderator Member

If it says "pets all in one", then that is not the fishlore app.

@oOBlueOo that is the correct one.

14. Mom2some

Mom2someWell Known MemberMember

Okay, then I have the @right" app.

Now ... @AllieSten - what is this different way of viewing you and @Lucy are talking about?

15. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Hi, to find one of your threads (on the website at least) you go to "your activity" at the top then "your threads"

16. Tiny_Tanganyikans

Tiny_TanganyikansWell Known MemberMember

Bump= bringing up my post

Usually done after a 24 hour period of no responses.

The mods try to move threads to the right section so they can best be discussed or addressed.

I stopped using the app because I find it to be very unreliable and buggy (example OPs issues)

The website is fully featured and if you can run the app you can surely run chrome, I'd recommend just using that.

17. OP
    OP
    AllieSten

@Mike This is what I have downloaded. It let me search for the forum by name, inside the app. I can then use Forum like I did with the Fishlore app. It shows more boards and my alerts work. For me it is easier to navigate. I do have the original Fishlore app downloaded also, so they are definitely separate apps. Although they accomplish the same thing.

[​IMG]

I couldn't get that to load on the Fishlore app. I can now get it to work on the Tapatalk version.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017