Topfin Carbon Leaches Phosphate!

MrPeriwinkle

Reaction score
I changed one of my filter cartridges and used the activated carbon that was included with it and the next day my tank water started turning green. This had never happened before and I have a pretty well balanced set up, so I did a little reading. I suspected that I had an algea bloom caused by phosphates leached from the new carbon. I went to my LFS to get an API phos test to confirm and lo and behold - this carbon is rife with phos! What a mess...

Attachments

OP
MrPeriwinkle

MrPeriwinkle

Reaction score
I did a water change soon after I noticed the color change. Yesterday I also tested the tank water and tap water and found that my heavily planted tank (and the algea bloom) have already consumed the phosphate to the point that current tank levels are below the tap level. Ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates are all good too. So I loaded the filter with polishing pads and plan to just leave the light off, feed minimally, and ride it out. Any other suggestions?

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I did a water change soon after I noticed the color change. Yesterday I also tested the tank water and tap water and found that my heavily planted tank (and the algea bloom) have already consumed the phosphate to the point that current tank levels are below the tap level. Ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates are all good too. So I loaded the filter with polishing pads and plan to just leave the light off, feed minimally, and ride it out. Any other suggestions?
Sounds like you found the issue and have it pretty well covered. Good luck!!

Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Weekly

Votes: 83 69.2%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 14 11.7%
  • Monthly

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 19 15.8%

Top Bottom