Topfin 5g Pico Reef

Aqua Hands

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello! Long time no post!
I just wanted to have some guidance along my trip with this PICO tank. Its a tank of 5g with a built in filtration unit. this leaves 3 gallons of (swim space). It would be idiotic and irresponsible to try to put a fish in the tank so just corals. Any suggestions on lighting? Probably not expensive due to the fact I will have low lighting coral and if i need something more sustainable I can run and get it.

Asomeone

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
i love my lominie asta 20 in my 15 gal. Has my Zoas and xenia growing right along. Small footprint and ability to customize lighting channels. Only 50 bucks

Culprit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I just wanted to have some guidance along my trip with this PICO tank. Its a tank of 5g with a built in filtration unit. this leaves 3 gallons of (swim space). It would be idiotic and irresponsible to try to put a fish in the tank so just corals. Any suggestions on lighting? Probably not expensive due to the fact I will have low lighting coral and if i need something more sustainable I can run and get it.
A Kessil A80 would be perfect, or even a cheap PAR38 bulb. That Lomini light looks like it would work good as well.

Aqua Hands

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
A Kessil A80 would be perfect, or even a cheap PAR38 bulb. That Lomini light looks like it would work good as well.
I'll look into it! im just making a list of what i'll need again. Hopefully, this all goes smooth.

Magicpenny75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You could do a couple of sexy shrimp in a tank that size...or even something like a green clown goby. Since you will have to do large water changes every week anyway. You just have to have some kind of ATO or do multiple mini-topoffs to keep your salinity stable. But the same thing applies to coral. I second the PAR38 light bulb for lighting. Of course a Kessil would be awesome, but I know I could never justify the cost on a pico tank.
Very interested to see how it comes out.

Aqua Hands

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You could do a couple of sexy shrimp in a tank that size...or even something like a green clown goby. Since you will have to do large water changes every week anyway. You just have to have some kind of ATO or do multiple mini-topoffs to keep your salinity stable. But the same thing applies to coral. I second the PAR38 light bulb for lighting. Of course a Kessil would be awesome, but I know I could never justify the cost on a pico tank.
Very interested to see how it comes out.
I've looked into ATO and im definitely getting one. Just a case of what i get. But as for water changes, Ive done some research and your don't want to do tons of big water changes. you just want the tank to crawl not run. If you try to make the tank do absolutely amazing then there is a higher chance of over doing it and killing it.

FishRFriendz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Are you using the TopFin Retreat?

Magicpenny75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've looked into ATO and im definitely getting one. Just a case of what i get. But as for water changes, Ive done some research and your don't want to do tons of big water changes. you just want the tank to crawl not run. If you try to make the tank do absolutely amazing then there is a higher chance of over doing it and killing it.
True, just remember things go bad, fast, in nanos.
I stumbled across this ATO yesterday. I wasn't even looking for anything, just thought it was cool, and simple, and small, and inexpensive...all good things for nanos!
https://www.amazon.com/WuyouChy-Filler-Aquarium-Tortoise-Controller/dp/B07RSQB1H9/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=auto+top+off&pd_rd_r=bde8317a-20b3-4b89-84e2-1741b06b8d78&pd_rd_w=IvDAy&pd_rd_wg=vd9oq&pf_rd_p=8ae6d416-c697-4484-b867-2340ed2c18c0&pf_rd_r=0WH6E6CD5RJRNS8M06FD&qid=1567797407&s=pet-supplies&sr=1-4

FishRFriendz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I stumbled across this ATO yesterday. I wasn't even looking for anything, just thought it was cool, and simple, and small, and inexpensive...all good things for nanos!
https://www.amazon.com/WuyouChy-Filler-Aquarium-Tortoise-Controller/dp/B07RSQB1H9/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=auto+top+off&pd_rd_r=bde8317a-20b3-4b89-84e2-1741b06b8d78&pd_rd_w=IvDAy&pd_rd_wg=vd9oq&pf_rd_p=8ae6d416-c697-4484-b867-2340ed2c18c0&pf_rd_r=0WH6E6CD5RJRNS8M06FD&qid=1567797407&s=pet-supplies&sr=1-4
Ah first time I've seen that for like $5 on Aliexpress. Was kinda considering it, but I feel like something like that should be 3d printable and even $5 is a lot for what it does.

I made this a while back that is essentially the same thing.
4zHpdOj.gif

Really you just need to make some kind of bottle holder.

Aqua Hands

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Are you using the TopFin Retreat?
No, its the Engage.
I found a used ATO with 10g tank and pump for $145.
Ah first time I've seen that for like $5 on Aliexpress. Was kinda considering it, but I feel like something like that should be 3d printable and even $5 is a lot for what it does.

I made this a while back that is essentially the same thing.
4zHpdOj.gif

Really you just need to make some kind of bottle holder.
I have a 3 y/o ****

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom