TopFin 55 gal LED lights

TigerRockFish

Has anyone had experience with the LED lights that come with TopFin aquarium kits? I have these and they seem to be way too bright. I thought I would be able to swap them out for something else, but it doesn't seem like PetSmart or Amazon have any LEDs that fit the hoods that came with the kit. Currently the water in the tank is green. (Yes, I know, high nitrates. Two big goldfish. I change about 80% of the water once per week.) When I tried to grow vallisneria in the tank, they went translucent, which they've never done in my other tanks. Advice? I like these hoods and would rather not replace them with a glass one that I could use with Nicrew lights... but maybe I will have to.

light.jpg

RayClem

The website does not list the lighting specs for the lights, but I would be rather surprised if they were overly bright. Most kits come with underpowered lights. If you are used to the warm white coloration of incandescent lights, then the bright white lights may see a lot brighter, even though the lumens are similar.

I have a 55 gallon tank with a 72 watt Hygger light on it. I have even considered adding a second light.

If you tank seems too bright, I suggest you try adding some live plants to the tank. They will absorb a lot of light.

Upvote 0

Islandvic

I have the same tank. Yes they are supprisingly bright!

One reason is they sit above the water and dont have to shine through a glass lid.

From what I recall, each side has a 10-11watt strip and probably puts out 750-1000 lumens each.

Out Top Fin 55g houses African cichlids, and i might turn on theight for a few hours a day. Otherwise, I have a Marineland clip-on LED strip that sits under the lid and attaches to the lip of the front frame that I use so it wont be so bright.

The stock light uses a 12v / 2 amp power adapter brick. You can find a 12V LED dimmer on Amazon that plugs in-line between the power brick and the leads going to the lights.

Upvote 0

Chalupacabra

I had a 20 high Top Fin kit with similar hood and lights. I can attest, for such small lights, it can be crazy bright!

I added a mix of frogbit, duckweed, and salvinia, but really any floating plant should work.

These plants will flourish, diminish nitrates, and reduce the influx of light into the tank.

If you want more light, just skim some of the floating plants into the trash (or a goldfish tank, they’ll eat them).

If you want less light, let them propogate for a bit.

I know some people hate these plants, so I understand if you want to avoid them, but they’re one possible solution if you want to keep your current hood and lights.

Upvote 0

Fish99

Has anyone had experience with the LED lights that come with TopFin aquarium kits? I have these and they seem to be way too bright. I thought I would be able to swap them out for something else, but it doesn't seem like PetSmart or Amazon have any LEDs that fit the hoods that came with the kit. Currently the water in the tank is green. (Yes, I know, high nitrates. Two big goldfish. I change about 80% of the water once per week.) When I tried to grow vallisneria in the tank, they went translucent, which they've never done in my other tanks. Advice? I like these hoods and would rather not replace them with a glass one that I could use with Nicrew lights... but maybe I will have to.

light.jpg
how wide is the tank? Check these out, they are awesome. Use your smart phone with blue tooth to control them. I have a 90 gallon tall. 60 inches tall and I only use 25% at max daytime. There are a few sizes. Anyway, they are very cool! People say don't use blue light, algae loves blue.
https://fluvalaquatics.com/us/aquasky-led/
If that doesn't help, I am the kind of nerd that would run UV light to kill off green algae.
Probably a green killing machine 27 watt. (I think it's 27, close to that)

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Salem
  • gregoranddexter1816
  • Lighting
Replies
Views
Salem
Replies