TopFin 50 gallon, uncommon dimensions?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by Bob Ellis, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Bob EllisValued MemberMember

PetSmart sells this TopFin 50 with fluorescent hoods but its seems like a lot of money for what you get.

In the store it seems a little shorter in height than a 55 but the specs online match a 55. Is it really a little less tall than a 55? The other 50 gallon typically found is only 36" wide but extra deep and tall and I am not a fan of the shape. The next size down I like is the 40 (long not breeder) which only gives up about four inches water depth to the 55.

I am curious because my co-op is debating raising the 10 gallon limit and 50 gallons was proposed as the new limit, not 55. I may want to get the biggest tank I can get away with, of course they may decide to compromise and raise the limit to 30 or even 20, or worst case not raise it at all.

2. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

This should help you compare:

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. Bob EllisValued MemberMember

I have that link, the 50 they and others list is not what PetSmart seems to be labeling as a 50. It was clearly using two 24x12 hoods just like a 55.

4. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

There are much cheaper tops. I recommend a glass hinged top. You can put whatever light you want on it without being restricted by what comes with the hood, it's much cheaper, and it covers just as well, if not better (you cut out a section for your filter, so it's wholly customizable).

EDIT: I misunderstood, and you're looking for a tank too! I would buy everything separately, rather than a kit. You get better quality equipment and they're tailored to your needs.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  5. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Well the dimensions are 48x12.75x20 according to your link, which basically is a 55... But hey, you can tell your better half its a 50... That's how I tricked my wife into letting me buy a 40 Breeder. I was told it's more like 45 or 50 gallons.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. Bob EllisValued MemberMember

Why I am partially confused is that I swear in store the height of the tank was a few inches less, it wouldn't take much off a 55 to take five gallons out, just a couple inches. I'll have to go back and measure.

The other part of the question if it is truly a shallower alternative to a 55 is does anyone sell the 50 gallon tank beside Top Fin/PetSmart? I am not interested in paying $150 for a tank and lights when I can get other Aqueon or Marineland combos in a similar price range.

The 40g longs are an alternative and both Aqueon and Marineland make one, I'd just be giving up 4 inches depth. Alternatively I can try and convince the co-op board that a 55 really holds less than 50 gallons once rocks and decor are added.

Still all just planning anyhow, they won't decide until the end of the month at the earliest and they make may no change or choose a size in between 10 and 50.

7. Bob EllisValued MemberMember

Well I managed to get back there and check already as my son wanted to check out what he needs to house a fire belly toad.

It is in fact slightly less tall than a 55, specs on the tag indicated the height was 18.8 inches, so it would slot into the restrictions if the co-op does raise the limit all the way to 50 gallons.

On the other hand its over $150 for tank and a pair of old-style fluorescent hoods, nothing else.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice